John Kerry for Secretary of State

President Obama has formally announced his nomination of Senator John Kerry for Secretary of State.

(Reuters) – President Barack Obama on Friday announced the nomination of U.S. Senator John Kerry to replace Hillary Clinton as secretary of state, calling him the “perfect choice” to guide American diplomacy in the years ahead. […]

“As we turn the page on a decade of war, he understands that we have to harness all elements of American power,” Obama said at the White House.

I believe Kerry will be an excellent representative and will come into the job with the necessary knowledge and clout.

And to those who are worried that this may lead to a resurgence for former Senator Scott Brown, I say get over it and fight him. Scott Brown proved during the 2012 campaign that he’s a poor campaigner, and his legislative history shows that he’s an opportunistic empty suit.

Furthermore, I believe making the right choice for Secretary of State is far more important than one senate seat. If one seat meant the difference between having a super majority or not, I may not feel the same way, but it currently does not.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Foreign Policy and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • GrafZeppelin127

    Uhh… That’s “formally,” not “formerly.”

    • JMAshby

      Thanks for the catch. I’m not in the right state of mind today. I just want to go drink eggnog and chill.

      • KABoink_after_wingnut_hacker

        A little Caribbean rum in the eggnog helps take off the edge.

        • Victor_the_Crab

          I recommend Sailor Jerry spiced rum. That stuff is lethal!

        • Victor_the_Crab

          And by “lethal” I meant “gooood”.

  • KABoink_after_wingnut_hacker

    I’m hoping the Dems can protect Kerry’s seat from wingnuttia.
    After the last election I’m optimistic, but all this redistricting and gerrymandering causes me concerns.

    • D_C_Wilson

      Um, it’s a Senate seat. They’re elected in statewide elections. Redistricting has no effect on them.

  • muselet

    Agreed on John Kerry’s qualifications.

    But the Rs—no matter how effusive they’ve been in praising Kerry in the past couple of months—aren’t going to give him an easy confirmation. They’ll do everything they can to rip him to shreds, even if it means blowing the dust off their *grrr* outrage over Kerry’s Winter Soldier testimony yet again.

    I’ll be shocked if they don’t filibuster.

      After the announcement by Susan Rice, the R’s said that they’re going to give Kerry a pass.

      We’ll see.

      • D_C_Wilson

        Which means they’ll grill him like a cheeseburger on the Fourth of July.

  • mrbrink

    John Kerry was almost The President Of The United States, should have been, still could be, and when the country was being tortured by the Republican party and the Bush administration, John Kerry was campaigning on not-torturing-human-beings and a smarter foreign policy. Getting out of Iraq, more emphasis on diplomacy, building international consensus, more reliance on special forces and mobility, robot technology, etc.

    More nerd power in general.

    Getting Bin Laden would have been a top priority for a John Kerry administration as well.

    I see the Obama administration’s foreign policy not as the particular foreign policy of one man, but an extension of Democratic party foreign policy going back to 2004.

    John Kerry may not have been able to deliver the Cairo speech that President Obama gave, but I believe the policy would have been very similar to what we see now, which is much better than the Republican party forever-exporting all their rape and torture fetishes for a profit.

  • D_C_Wilson

    I really have to wonder if Scott Brown is really the best choice the republicans can come up with. Did he really endear himself to the GOP establishment and the Koch Brothers that much that no one else in MA could possibly run? The guy won one election against a weak candidate and then was soundly defeated in his first re-election bid.

    Polls had shown that the race between him and Warren was really tight and he had a decent chance of getting re-elected. Then he started talking. He focused on whether or not she had some Cherokee ancestry and snidely referred to her as “professor” in an effort to paint her as a some kind of intellectual elitist.

    In Massachusetts, the home of MIT and Harvard? That state probably has the highest population density of geeks in the world.

    Brown is a shitty campaigner who grossly misread his own constituency. If the republicans think he can turn his rep around in just a few months and win another seat, they are being really optimistic. If the democrats can come of with a strong candidate, they should be able to hold that seat.