Mass Shootings Mean Good Times For Firearms Industry

There have been 31 school shootings in the US since Columbine in 1999. After the shootings at Columbine, background check applications and gun sales surged. After the shooting in Tuscon, Arizona, background checks and gun sales surged. After the shooting in Aurora, Colorado– background checks and gun sales surged.

In 2009, gun sales and firearms manufacturing had a $27.8 billion dollar impact on the American economy. Last year, gun sales and firearms manufacturing-related business had a $31.8 billion dollar impact on our economy. The firearms share of the economy is growing. Killing is a racket.

These numbers don’t account for hundreds of millions in backlog, or sales at gun shows, where background checks are exempt, or private transfers– which means firearms sales in America is why we have more guns per capita(We’re #1) than Yemen. Yemen, that place in the world where anti-government zealots and religious extremists rule the streets and draw the world’s attention as a safe haven for terrorists.

With the election of Barack Obama in 2008, gun dealers have been experiencing “boon times,” even through the recession, despite the fact that president Obama has actually expanded gun rights during his term.

Irrational fear and panic-inducing hyperbole on the part of the NRA and Republicans in congress have been outstanding for the mass murder business.

But what do we do as a country when right wing conservatives’ interpretation of the 2nd Amendment means more kids are going to have to die because… freedom?

Think Progress:

A majority of Americans — including gun-owning Americans and National Rifle Association (NRA) members — back sensible gun regulation. In fact,new research released in July by Republican pollster Frank Luntz for Mayors against Illegal Guns, finds that gun advocates overwhelmingly support common-sense measures typically described as “gun control.” These include:

1. Requiring criminal background checks on gun owners and gun shop employees.

2. Prohibiting terrorist watch list members from acquiring guns.

3. Mandating that gun-owners tell the police when their gun is stolen.

4. Concealed carry permits should only be restricted to individuals who have completed a safety training course and are 21 and older.

5.Concealed carry permits shouldn’t be given to perpetrators of violent misdemeanors or individuals arrested for domestic violence.

These are all great common sense ideas, but we’re never going to prevent more school shootings if we can’t even say the words, “gun control” without right wing conservatives and the NRA whipping up more panic and irrational fears which will directly lead to more gun sales and subsequently more mass shootings. That’s quite a cycle. It’s as though we’re being terrorized into silence and inaction as we continue to bury and mourn the loss of our children.

A study from The National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI) concludes:

The United States has far higher rates of firearm deaths-firearm homicides, firearm suicides, and unintentional firearm deaths compared with other high-income countries. The US overall suicide rate is not out of line with these countries, but the United States is an outlier in terms of our overall homicide rate.

The 2nd Amendment is rooted in the spirit of the Common defense. We must be doing it wrong.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Far-right Intellectual Violence, Guns, Republican Party, Terrorism, Wingnuts and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

    “The 2nd Amendment is rooted in the spirit of the Common defense. We must be doing it wrong.’

    This.

    And someone needs to tell the wingnuts that we are fucking DONE with their self-serving interpretation of the 2nd Amendment.

    In other news, on Friday in Michigan, our wingnut legislature passed a new law which increases gun rights. And our wingnut governor signed it. In Michigan, you may now openly carry guns in schools, daycare centers, shopping centers, and so forth.

    Screw “states rights”. We need a Federal [gun control] law which applies to all states and territories.

    • KABoink_after_wingnut_hacker

      Sorry to hear about what Snyder is ramming through in Michigan. It’s reprehensible.

      On the 2nd Amendment:
      I’ve long had a concern with conservatives’ interpretation of the 2nd amendment.
      First, it’s old. Circa 1789. If I’m not mistaken, this is the time of muskets, not of todays’ military assault weapons.

      Secondly, our slave owning, hemp growing founding fathers feared a return of Redcoats troops and didn’t have a standing army or navy to match the British, so it makes sense in a historical contextto pass this amendment.

      Thirdly, in 2012 the USA is well defended with it’s nuclear arsenal, subs, jets, drones, spies, bombs & bullets, battleships, ballistic missiles and all means of death and destruction that can be used against any national threat.

      It’s pretty easy to argue that we already have our well regulated militia.

      There has been a lot of change since 1789 when we as a nation worried about British retaliation and thought it important to have our citizenry armed with muzzle loading weaponry of the time. This old document written under entirely different circumstances is not relevent in todays dialogue.

        You are exactly right.

        I don’t understand why we have allowed the right wing to take us to the edge of this cliff.

    • muselet

      Sadly, you have to add a majority of the Supreme Court to the list of wingnuts who misinterpret the Second Amendment. That makes any effective new federal gun control laws problematic at best.

      As I’ve said before, the Supremes have security details, so they’ll never have to trouble themselves with the practical consequences of their rulings.

      –alopecia

  • kushiro -

    The only way to protect ourselves from people with guns is for more people to get guns. And then people need to get guns to protect themselves from those people that just got guns. And then more people need get more guns to protect themselves from those people who just got guns. And then we gun people need to get more guns because now more people have guns. And then those new people really need to UP their gun total because look at all the people who have guns.

    After awhile the only real response to gun ownership is to increase gun ownership.

    • http://twitter.com/PeterBWest Peter Bockenthien

      Guns is an overused word.
      Protection is an abused concept devoid of meaning.

      (I wish we could get audio recordings of the school shootings and play them over and over again and see how many people actually think they could whip out their gun, release the safety and squeeze off 1 very accurate round against a semi-automatic bullet sprayer while the heart-rending screams and gunshots echo around in their soul.

      It would have to be very, very accurate because you need a kill shot to the head because attacking innocents wearing bulletproof gear is usually how it goes. How long could someone stand to listen to that carnage before becoming the next victim?)

      Now if someone were to use the words “assault weapons” instead of guns, then I think more people would have an accurate image to reference.

      • nathkatun7

        Well said, Peter! We need to put emphasis on “assault weapons.”