Moderation

From the department of the unintentionally hilarious.

Arizona Attorney General Tom Horne is proposing that we arm school principals, and this, he believes, is a moderate position.

“This proposal presents a golden mean between two extremes,” Horne said. “One extreme is to allow all teachers to bring guns to school, which could create more dangers than it prevents. The other extreme is to do nothing, which everyone will regret if a preventable incident like Newtown would occur in the future.”

I believe a real moderate position is to eliminate gun show loopholes and develop tighter controls for those with a documented history of violence or mental illness. Steps that even regular-joe members of the NRA should be able to support.

An extreme position would be to confiscate guns or, on the other hand, arm school officials.

You do have to marvel at the bizarro world someone such as Horne lives in where, by his standards, handing out more guns is considered moderate.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Guns and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Username1016

    You know how they always say, “Instead of adding more gun regulations, we should just enforce the ones we have”? Does anyone know what these mysterious unenforced regulations are? I’m curious as to whether they actually exist.

      That kind of statement is to make the gun nuts look reasonable. In reality, many of the laws are so poorly worded and/or practically impossible to enforce that the law might as well not exist. For example, preventing the mentally ill and felons from buying guns. We don’t have a national thorough background checking system. Everyone thinks we do, but we don’t. Here’s how it gets done. First you find out the person’s name, SSN, DOB and ALL alias. Then you have to find out every place he or she has ever lived (the county names are the important part). Then you run his ID info including all the aliases through NCIC, which is our Federal System (which is incomplete). Then you have to go to each and every county he/she lived in and run a check against their state system via the Clerk of Court. And you will STILL probably not get everything because people commit crimes away from home all the time. This system doesn’t touch upon mental illness in any way shape or form. Those who are declared mentally incompetent by the Court can be found in searches of County records HOWEVER not that many people actually get declared by the Court. Many allow them voluntarily check in to facilities. It’s usually the pretty extreme cases that get Court declared.

      Okay, so how many gun dealers do you know do all that? They don’t, they just don’t and having gone through this process many, many times, I don’t really blame them. The answer? A national ID and a more integrated system wherein all the various jurisdiction’s data is in ONE large database? Cons are dead set against National ID’s. And with my experience and expertise in the Criminal Justice system I can emphatically tell you that this ONE large integrated system will not be functional in our lifetimes (and it isn’t from lack of trying, I used to work for an agency that integrated CJ data of the various agencies–Arpaio killed that agency, long story)

      But most people don’t know this. They aren’t educated on how the background checks are and how the Cons make it nearly impossible to actually enforce the damn laws in the first place. So “enforce the laws already on the books” sound so reasonable.

      • Username1016

        Excellent answer — thank you!

        Yeah, a national database feels kind of heavy-handed — shades of 1984, you know? — but as you say, the patchwork approach isn’t ever going to work.

        So we’re back to (not that I ever abandoned) the idea of banning assault rifles and giant ammo clips. I hope Newtown is the impetus to get that done, but I’m not holding my breath.

    • nathkatun7

      One of the most important regulation, the ban on assault weapons, expired in 2004 because the Republican dominated Congress refused to re-new it.

    • D_C_Wilson

      It’s a standard NRA bait-and-switch:

      Insist we should just enforce existing rules, then oppose any funding that might make enforcement of those rules possible.

      And the penalties for failing to comply with existing rules is a joke. If a federal agent walks into a gun store, checks the inventory, and finds that there are hundreds of guns missing with no sales records of where they went, it’s a misdemeanor fine that’s so low, it’s not even worth the prosecutor’s time to file it with the courts.

  • trgahan

    Idiotic on so many levels.

    So the school is now safe (HA!)…who gets the gun at the movie theater, the mall, colleges, non-Republican political rally’s, responding fire companies?!? (How quickly we forget).

    Also, with the increasing sophistication of these attacks (more planning, bigger guns, higher volume clips, better ammo, body armor, gas masks, etc) by formally announcing “Person X is the only one armed and supposed to stop you!” haven’t you just told future attackers who must die first?

    • nathkatun7

      Great comment!

    Believe me, in Arizona, Horne’s position IS the moderate option. That’s why we only have at best DINO’s in our state legislature. Hell, I seem like a radical femi-nazi to 90% of the people around me. I keep my mouth shut when politics come up in conversation because its darn hard to find anyone who would back me up it it got ugly (online it’s a different matter, of course).

    “I believe a real moderate position is to eliminate gun show loopholes and develop tighter controls for those with a documented history of violence or mental illness. Steps that even regular-joe members of the NRA should be able to support.”

    We also need a govt. gun buy-back program. You know, to get the guns that are strictly for human hunting off the damn streets.

    The NRA, on the other hand, will go along with nothing. They will refuse ANY restriction on gun rights. We’ve let them accumulate too much power, their members are too emboldened.

  • chucklenuts

    And this is why you must medicate and drink heavily while living in Arizona

      Indeed, I do, I do

  • Nefercat

    1) Mentally ill does not equal violent. This country’s neglect of the mentally ill is barbaric. And certainly some mental illnesses are more likely to potentially result in hostile or violent behaviors (psychoses, paranoias). However, I would hate to see some big database stigmatizing *anyone* who is mentally ill as by definition, being more likely to act out violently. Will anything be done in regard to addressing the particular profile of an individual’s particular illness, and the likelihood of violent behaviors?

    How do we address sane, but angry, jealous, abusive people? They may not carry out mass murders, but collectively they successfully kill many people every year.

    2) Every mention of security in schools that I have seen so far evokes images of wanting to protect innocent little tots (however harebrained the plan might be).

    I have yet to see an assessment of armed volunteers/civilians/irrelevant careers in a school full of obnoxious, mouthy, feeling-their-oats, hormonally-addled, pack-mentality teenagers (i.e., average high school). This would *not* end well.

    • stacib23

      I have yet to see an assessment of armed volunteers/civilians/irrelevant careers in a school full of obnoxious, mouthy, feeling-their-oats, hormonally-addled, pack-mentality teenagers (i.e., average high school). This would *not* end well.

      A-flippin-men! I know several people that work in the Chicago Public School system, and a couple of them admit to having been in situations with a kid that made them a bit fearful. One person in particular, I would really hate to see her with a gun, and I’m sure there are many more like her out here. Basically, a really good person, but sick and tired of being threatened by kids and their parents. I echo your sentiments – if instituted, this will not end well.

  • Victor_the_Crab

    This asshat is for moderation of guns in the same manner Rush Limbaugh is for moderation of his caloric intake.