Morning Awesome

She & Him – “Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas”

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Morning Awesome and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • muselet

    Charlie Pierce said on Friday:

    There is only one thing to be over Christmas and that is to be a muddler. Legend has it that Frank Sinatra, of all people, decided that the original lyrics to “Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas” were too much of a downer, and thus “Until then, we’ll have to muddle through somehow,” which is a far more accurate assessment of a great many holiday seasons, became “Hang a shining star upon the highest bough,’ which is cosmetic and stupid and entirely dissonant with the entire feeling of the song. It’s a classic example of style over substance, of surface pleasantry over authentic hope.

    I wouldn’t be quite so bluntly dismissive as Pierce (and the song wasn’t the point of his post, muddling was), but I do prefer the “muddle” line (try it for yourself when the line comes up).

    Quibbles aside, I prefer this sweetly melancholic song to most of what gets played this time of year—most of which makes me want to break things—and this is a nicely understated performance.

    Thanks for posting it, Bob.

    –alopecia