NFL Players Union Stands with Michiganders

If you’re going to have allies in the fight against Right to Work legislation, this is a good one to have.

Today, the legislation has a new foe: the National Football League Players Association, which represents players on Michigan’s NFL franchise, the Detroit Lions, and has come out against “right-to-work” before.

“We stood up against this in the past, and we stand against it in its current form in Michigan,” George Atallah, the association’s assistant executive director for external affairs, told ThinkProgress in a phone interview. “Our leadership and players are always proud to stand with workers in Michigan and everywhere else. We don’t think voters chose this, and we don’t think workers deserve this.”

ThinkProgress reports that the Major League Baseball players union has also come out against Right to Work legislation in Michigan which, according to the Economic Policy Institute, would diminish worker safety, make it harder for employees to obtain healthcare coverage, and cost employees as much as $1,500 in wages.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Unions and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • trgahan

    “..would diminish worker safety, make it harder for employees to obtain healthcare coverage, and cost employees as much as $1,500 in wages”

    So in other words, the legislation is a win, win, and win for the “Job Creators.”

  • Victor_the_Crab

    “..would diminish worker safety, make it harder for employees to obtain healthcare coverage, and cost employees as much as $1,500 in wages”

    Because… FREEDOM!!!

  • muselet

    This is good as a symbol and also—possibly—as a way to keep the story in the news a couple of days longer. However, unless the NFLPA and MLBPA convince the leagues not to schedule games in Michigan if the state becomes right-to-work, I don’t see it having any practical effect.

    Unless the Players Associations pull out their checkbooks come election time. Then all bets are off.

    –alopecia