Not Political? Yeah. Right.

Tennessee joins the ranks of red states that are literally demanding a government takeover of healthcare by refusing to set up a state-based insurance exchange.

Tennessee Gov. Bill Haslam (R) announced Monday that Tennessee would not create a health insurance exchange in line with President Obama’s health care reform law. In a press release, Haslam said the decision came after “months of consideration” and was not a “political decision.”

“In weighing all of the information we currently have, I informed the federal government today that Tennessee will not run a state-based exchange,” Haslam said. “If conditions warrant in the future and it makes sense at a later date for Tennessee to run the exchange, we would consider that as an option at the appropriate time.”

This is absolutely political. Republican government don’t want to appear as if they’re cooperating with Obamacare. That’s the whole thing. They’re being petulant babies.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Healthcare and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Draxiar

    As has been stated here before, it’s odd to see folks that demand states rights give up the opportunity for their states to develop their own exchange thereby exercising their own right.

    • Nefercat

      Oops, you beat me to it with states’ rights.

    • D_C_Wilson

      You’re forgetting the most important states’ right in their minds:

      The right to thumb their noses at the scary Muslim president.

  • Username1016

    Well, but it’s a red state — you know they’re WAY more dependent on the federal government than the blue states are ;-)

  • Nefercat

    These are all the same clowns that jerk off to “states’ rights.”

    And yet, the opportunity to design an exchange tailored to the particular needs of your citizens (because, you *will* have an exchange)? Nah, let the feds do it.

    • Lazarus Durden

      Nope it’s just wrong. Because it’s undefined or something. I had a Ron Paulite “explain” it to me today on Facebook by cut and pasting Ron Paul quotes, and links to YouTube videos. Yay Freedom! America Fuck Yeah!

  • bphoon

    “If conditions warrant in the future and it makes sense at a later date for Tennessee to run the exchange, we would consider that as an option at the appropriate time.”

    News flash, Gov: You won’t get that opportunity. You have until 12/18 to propose to partner with the federal government to run an exchange in your state (the deadline for designing a fully state-run exchange has already passed). After then, the federal government will set up and run your exchange and the state will be entirely out of it.

    Irony is something that obviously goes entirely over conservatives’ heads.

    Idiots.