Progress in Michigan

Rick Snyder did the right thing:

Gov. Rick Snyder vetoed legislation Tuesday that would have allowed gun owners with extra training to carry concealed weapons in public schools.

The bill was delivered to Snyder’s desk early Tuesday afternoon and he vetoed it about two hours later, spokeswoman Sara Wurfel said.

Snyder based his veto on the fact the bill wouldn’t allow schools and other public locations to opt out of its provisions.

“While we must vigilantly protect the rights of law-abiding firearm owners, we also must ensure the right of designated public entities to exercise their best discretion in matters of safety and security,” Snyder said in a statement. “These public venues need clear legal authority to ban firearms on their premises if they see fit to do so.”

But I suspect that the bill will be rewritten without mention of schools. Everywhere else is a great place to bring a gun.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Guns and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • atlavely

    And as I said on Twitter, This one thing he could hardly avoid doesn’t make up for all the other horse sh*t bills he’s signed in the last couple weeks.
    I was expecting the MI legislature to override, because, you know, freedom.

    FINALLY, a conservative does the right thing….am not holding my breath for the next sane conservative act, however.

    Please.

    Let’s be perfectly clear here.

    Snyder didn’t “do the right thing”. He did the thing that was expedient, given the national attention focused on gun control at the moment.

    Michigan defeated Snyder’s Koch-DeVos-ALEC anti-Democratic emergency manager law at the ballot box. The GOP response was to legislate yet another EFM law, (this time, with provisions to protect the law from referendum & which also protects the GOP morons from recall) which Snyder signed. Thus, the city of Detroit is about to be taken over by Snyder’s goons.

    Last week, Snyder signed the most anti-abortion bill in the country.

    His disapproval rating is 57%. He HAD to veto the ridiculous piece of crap called a law, which would have allowed concealed carry of guns in many places they are not normally found, including daycare centers, schools, and so forth.

    He will no doubt ask the GOP to revise the wording, and then sign it when the heat is off.

    So, no, Snyder didn’t do the right thing.

    • MiddleMittenLiberal

      Yes, my husband is the director of our local public library and he is not happy. Anyone can bring a gun in and he can’t do a thing about it. They can’t bring guns onto privately owned/operated property.