Quote of the Morning

“I see that the way we will get the Hispanics and the other groups, the Asians, as part of the Republican Coalition is to get them first part of the great American Coalition. Make them think of themselves, not make but, persuade them to think of themselves primarily as Americans. Restore the overarching, all-encompassing concept of an American identity, which we used to have, which we knew how to bring about and which in the last 20 or 30 years very largely as a result of the democrats wanting to emphasize ethnicity rather than American-ness. We have lost that and frankly one of the reasons we have not regained it and doing very badly at the moment is because the Republicans have neither had the imagination nor the courage to think how they could appeal to these other ethnic groups as Americans and craft an appeal that won them over. They have got to do that.” John O’Sullivan in a discussion with Jonah Goldberg

Yikes. And the Republican outreach continues by implying that Hispanics and other groups aren’t real Americans.

There’s a line from Goldberg in the video in which he says Romney talked about conservative ideas that have worked but he talked about them incorrectly. I’d like to know which ideas conservatives have successfully used during an economic recovery following a deep, deep recession. (Answer: none.)

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Quote and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

    Goddamn Democrats, forcing people to be proud of their heritage.

  • rob black

    Shh……see if we trick these “others” into thinking they are real murkins …wink..wink…they might vote for us in enough numbers, that we can gain enough power, so it wont matter if we get their furrin wrongly hued votes or not!
    You know… like we did with the Irish and the Jews back when we needed their votes.

  • Draxiar

    Watching the GOP right now is like watching a fish on land flip and flop around gasping for it’s own element in which to breath yet incapable of comprehending which direction to go to achieve that goal of surviving.

    • Brutlyhonest

      I’d be likely to put a fish back in the water, but I’m enjoying watching these asshats flail.

      • mrbrink

        Ha ha!

        Yes!

  • trgahan

    O’Sullivan seems to have forgotten that the Republican efforts of emphazing American-ness focused on defining which citizens were NOT American rather than trying to include anyone. Pretending it is the Democrats who fostered such division is pure projection.

    I love the underlying insinuation of stuff like this that Hispanics/Asians/etc WANT to be conservative, so Republicans just need to learn to sell it better.

    It all boils down to yet another half-assed post-election “Conservatism DIDN”T FAIL!” excuse.

  • http://www.facebook.com/people/Rich-Morgan/100000299284844 Rich Morgan

    “Yikes. And the Republican outreach continues by implying that Hispanics and other groups aren’t real Americans.”

    Right. And this is clearly the fault of the Democrats.

  • MrDHalen

    The fact they leave African Americans off their list of who to woo tells Hispanics and Asians everything they need to know about the true feelings of the GOP.

  • muselet

    A sane, socially-conservative party almost certainly could attract significant support from ethnic and racial groups. However, most of John O’Sullivan’s statement would make much more sense if the word “American” were replaced with the word “white,” given what the Rs were up to in the run-up to November’s election.

    It’s a good thing Righties are natural arseholes.

    Every American of Latino or Asian descent that I know–or know of–thinks of him/herself as American. Every one. That Sullivan doesn’t think people of diverse ethnicities already think of themselves as Americans and that it will take the GOP to get them to come around to that way of thinking simply reinforces the perception of the GOP as an essentially racist organization. They certainly don’t understand the various ethnic groups that make up America these days. Furthermore, their lack of understanding doesn’t come from some complex sociological phenomenon but from the fact that they simply don’t listen.

    Man, these fuckers just don’t get it. Here’s hoping they never do.

  • mrbrink

    “Restore the overarching, all-encompassing concept of an American identity…”

    Get the fuck outta here.

    Concentrated wealth is their cultural outreach when their cultural outreach is brokered by racists, bigots, and misogynists.

    Rich white men running around complaining about a lack of “freedom” in this country while running around complaining about too much freedom for everyone else is a fucking mockery of mockery.

    Every time these wart hogs start thinking about soul searching and outreach, it’s always dictated to you like the ten commandments. They have a rigid core, and don’t take kindly to “others.”

    The Civil Rights Act, the Voting Rights Act, Medicare, Social Security, Roe v. Wade, D.A.D.T., on and on– all must be destroyed to save our “American identity!” or “greatness,” or “exceptionalism,” or whatever new and improved marketing phrase they’re using now to describe white power, but this is how the party ideology rolls. You can’t change that without a lobotomy and a heart transplant.

    So, as a party of wealth-hoarding fucking assholes, they’re going to continue to do what they tried to do last election– hope that the hypnotist’s sparkly medallion of “jobs and the economy” fool enough people into believing that all their racism, bigotry, and misogyny is as American as voter suppression and personhood for corporations and zygotes and call them welfare queens when they’re not at all fooled.

    There’s a certain attitude in this country that if you’re a piece of shit racist and a bigot, you can still do some good(sort of like the Founding Fathers) as long as you keep your racism and bigotries to yourself, but if your party spends its days writing racism and bigotry into law, or actively repealing the hard-fought historical rights and protections of women and minority groups, you can’t make the people you are trying to reach forget these things just because you think you’re being slick about leaving your white hood at home when you go out selling “Liberty” door to door.