Quote of the Morning

“I’d also like us to encourage people to gang rush shooters, rather than following their instincts to hide; if we drilled it into young people that the correct thing to do is for everyone to instantly run at the guy with the gun, these sorts of mass shootings would be less deadly, because even a guy with a very powerful weapon can be brought down by 8-12 unarmed bodies piling on him at once.” Megan McArdle who inexplicably continues to be paid for this stuff

Two women tried to do that on Friday. Dawn Hochsprung and Mary Sherlach were shot and killed in the process. Was McArdle expecting kindergarteners do this? If so, she’s insane and totally unfamiliar with, you know, children.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Quote and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • zirgar

    LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Sorry. I couldn’t help myself. Since my instinct would be to throttle someone this stupid, I did the comment equivalent of gang rushing the quote instead. Well, I guess people could use the still smoking bodies of those already gunned down as shields to go after the gunman, although the body of your average first grader probably isn’t big enough to cover and protect the entire body of your average adult, but could conceivably protect most of the vitals, so… And also, too, a first grader probably isn’t strong enough to hoist and then carry a fellow first grader as a shield, but still–no excuses! Also, too, I suppose this is the free market approach on how to handle mass shootings from the targets’/victims’/scaredy cats’ perspective, since we already see how that free market approach works from the shooters’ viewpoint. Gotta keep it consistent.

    I read her “opinion” piece last night and frankly, I thought, “What a monumental twit.” However, this morning, upon seeing it again here and over at TBogg’s place, I really feel she should be run out of her job on a rail, but not before she personally apologizes, in person, to anyone and everyone who was ever involved in one of these mass shootings, especially the families of the dead. And maybe while she’s at it, she could explain how their loved ones would still be alive if they hadn’t followed the wrong instinct. You know, cheer them up a little bit with some of her homespun, folksy wisdom. This is one of the most insulting and idiotic things I’ve read in a long while, and that’s really saying something because these libertarian, right wing fools produce a lot of insulting, idiotic crap.

    • JackDaniel07

      wow late contender for comment of the year!!!!!!!
      you nailed it holmz!

      • zirgar

        Thanks!

    • Brutlyhonest

      Another problem with the bodies as shields tactic is the use of FMJ rounds. You know, the ones the NRA said are essential for “sportsmen” because you never know when a deer will try to hide behind a dumpster or something else.

      • zirgar

        Well, as far as I can tell, it’s not about whether anyone will be saved with this tactic, but rather whether anyone will stop being such a whiny, cowering, yella-bellied chicken long enough to give it the ol’ college try. “Rah! Rah! Rah! Sis-boom-bah! Nothing ventured, nothing gained, you pussies.” ~ Megan McArdle, Life Coach.

        • Brutlyhonest

          Ooh, Ooh! I know, adults can throw the little lads and lasses at the shooter!

  • agrazingmoose

    She should be training rebels in the Congo. Really, she should quit her job and give it a try.

  • atlavely

    Just another way to blame the victim. Makes me sick.

      It’s worse; it’s taking the shooting as a given and saying “Hey, *you’re* gonna die anyway, but you might as well do something to take the guy out to help everybody.”

      Which, needless to say, is also completely antithetical to libertarianism.

  • http://twitter.com/ritholtz Barry Ritholtz

    She is one of the least intelligent people pretending to be public intellectuals in America. Her breadth of foolishness i astounding.

    Oh, and she is no journalist — she works (undisclosed) for the Koch Brothers http://shameproject.com/profile/megan-mcardle/

    I like Zirgar’s description of McArdle—“what a monumental twit”.

    Bang on, and as trivial an assessment as she deserves.

  • trgahan

    Yeah, they thought the same thing in Europe during WWI. Just keep sending soliders and eventually the German machine guns will overheat and jam….worked great from what I hear…

    • BuffaloBuckeye

      For the Germans, yeah. For the Allies, not really..

  • BuffaloBuckeye

    “I’d also like us to encourage people to gang rush shooters..”

    I’m assuming that McCardle’s ‘people’ in the above quote is not self-inclusive…

  • mgardener

    What is the matter with this woman and why does she get paid to write this stuff?

    Does she have children?

  • muselet

    Jonathan Chait, after (rightly) tearing into Megan McArdle, ends his piece thusly:

    Unless I am missing a very subtle parody of libertarianism, McArdle’s plan to teach children to launch banzai charges against mass murderers is the single worst solution to any problem I have ever seen offered in a major publication. Newsweek, I award this essay no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

    Apologies for being tasteless, but McArdle’s proposed solution reminds me of this clip.

    Let us never speak of this idiot again.

      “Let us never speak of this idiot again.”

      Spot on.

  • Victor_the_Crab

    It would seem Megan McArdle is the doucherag person who creates the lineage that will give us Zapp Brannigan.

  • D_C_Wilson

    People this stupid should not be allowed outside unescorted.