Republican Party Opening Up Needful Things Shop

Tom Coburn (R-Castle Rock), reported today that he and the Republican party are seeking to open up a new Needful Things shop in the heart of America’s budget.

Via Raw Story:

Speaking to ABC’s George Stephanopolous on Sunday about the so-called fiscal cliff, Coburn said that he would be willing to accept tax hikes for the top 2 percent of earners if Democrats and President Barack Obama agreed to reform Social Security and Medicare.

Senator Coburn when on to say that the Republican party are more than willing to trade a slight increase in taxes on the top 2% for the expedited destruction of the social safety net, a repeal of all labor laws and unions and, in what appears to be a major concession to environmental groups, the Republican party may be willing to raise taxes on used refrigerator boxes, but only if the boxes are used for primary residence. The Senator from Oklahoma went on to say:

“Medicare is going bankrupt, Social Security disability will be bankrupt in two years, Social Security trust fund will be bankrupt in five years, Social Security total will be bankrupt in 16,17 years.”

“The fact is we are spending money we don’t have on things we don’t absolutely need.”

According to Senator Coburn and the complete life’s work of right wing conservatism, we absolutely do not need Medicare and Social Security, especially since they are infringing on the rights of the free market to decide how our most vulnerable among us can best be ignored for a profit.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Far-right Intellectual Violence, Lying Liars, Republican Party, Social Security, Taxes, The Economy, Wingnuts, Worst Persons and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

    Goddammit, I hate these fucking people. They are nothing but greedy, self-serving bastards!

    • http://twitter.com/kraftytess Tessa

      I’m with Nicole, after the UN treaty for the disabled went down to their idiocy I just gave up on them . You think they can’t possibly get worse and then they do. Hate is actually not a strong enough word at this point. Totally disgusted with them.

  • rob black

    I wish he and “walking man” Inhofe would go ahead and take off for Vegas..or strike that… Phoenix.

    Their state would “dry up and blow away” without Social Security payments, Medicare payments, and Farm / Oil Subsidies, and may literally do it anyway.

    Given that same state gets $1.78 back for every $1 it pays into the Fed govt., they should win some sort of award for doing the most to hurt the stupid voters that keep electing them to office.

    I will be heading for Boulder.

    http://crooksandliars.com/susie-madrak/inhofe-holds-climate-change-press-con

    • drsquid

      This whole panic on the left is being induced by the GOP. They won’t accept it going up by 2%, but they will accept it going up by more since no one on their other side is going to sign up for their ludicrous demands?

      The whole age hike panic makes no goddamn sense. Everyone who is panicking now, put a fucking sock in it.

      And also, ignore C&L and especially Susie. Bad writer, bad liar, and bad conspiracy theorist.

      • ranger11

        I really hate Madrak and her type. Where do these people get their fanbase?

      • rob black

        Anyone else care to take this? I have to split for the day.

        Oh well….lets just keep it short and sweet.

        Three paragraphs of stupid.

        drsquid=idiot

        Troll thread commence.

        • drsquid

          Right. A CT fanboy and a coward to boot. Save us the trouble of your wisdom and go to your natural home in the GOP, along with the rest of you firebagging punks.

          If there’s anything I hate, it’s ‘progressives’ who don’t want anything to change unless it’s done “their special way”. Right wingers and firebaggers are exactly alike. No wonder Hamster rolls around with Norquist.

        >>>”They won’t accept it going up by 2%, but they will accept it going up by more since no one on their other side is going to sign up for their ludicrous demands?”

        Maybe I have a block or I’m just stupid, but I don’t understand what you mean by this, and I would like to understand.

        >>>”The whole age hike panic makes no goddamn sense.”

        How does it “make no sense”?

        Hey drsquid, I am not trolling you, I sincerely just want to understand.

        adds……I really don’t understand why rob responded as he did either, hence more interest in your meaning.

        • mrbrink

          Yeah, thanks for saying something, Nicole. I was going to say to drsquid that I think rob black’s comment was mostly in jest, or maybe I’m missing something else?

          And I’m still not sure how linking to a C&L piece entitled, “Inhofe Holds Climate Change Press Conference with Wack Jobs” is some sort of firebagging zealotry. I don’t know Susie Madrak well enough to criticize her method, but I think Bob linked to the same piece on twitter. So what? I don’t get it.

          Also adding to your train of thought, I wouldn’t characterize drsquid as an “idiot” and I wouldn’t characterize rob black as a “firebagging punk.”

          I would characterize myself as still hungover from my birthday party last night.

            Yeah, I hear ya.

            Happy belated birthday, Brink!!

            >>>”I wouldn’t characterize drsquid as an “idiot” and I wouldn’t characterize rob black as a “firebagging punk.” ”

            Exactly. I’m so confused.

            Adds……Madrak is a firebagger. At least on her own blog.

          • drsquid

            Regarding Sandy…

            The Madrak:

            http://t.co/ykjuCCk6
            Obama Cheaps Out On Sandy Recovery to Prop Up Austerity Sham

            The reality:

            http://www.theroot.com/buzz/president-obama-asks-604b-sandy-aid?wpisrc=root_more_news
            President Obama Asks for $60.4 Billion in Sandy Aid

            I can tell who’s reporting and who’s pushing a narrative there.

            Damn, that was a gratuitous attack (by Madrak)(nothing new, I know) on the Pres!

            I rarely read C & L these days.

          • muselet

            If you’re still hung over this many hours later, it must have been a proper party. Happy birthday, a day late.

            –alopecia

        • drsquid

          People talk about what Ezra said as if it’s a done deal. Even though the deal as described makes no damn sense. Yet there’s panic and a bunch of CTers trotting out their drafts from summer 2011. No damn sense. It’s like some jackhole wants to see panic on the left.

          They’re really pissing me off.

            Do you have a link to what ezra (Klein, I presume) said? Appreciate it.

            Also, who or what is a “CTer”?

            Adds…….Okay. I think I found the piece you’re talking about. http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2012/12/07/the-fiscal-cliff-deal-comes-clearer-a-37-top-tax-rate-and-a-higher-medicare-eligibility-age/?wprss=rss_ezra-klein

            I’ve sort of been out of the loop for a couple of weeks, so I didn’t see that. But, the age thing bothers me too. I don’t see it happening that way, however, and it’s way too soon to panic.

            I still don’t understand why you and rob lit into each other.

          • drsquid

            http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2012/12/07/the-fiscal-cliff-deal-comes-clearer-a-37-top-tax-rate-and-a-higher-medicare-eligibility-age/

            “Talk to smart folks in Washington, and here’s what they think will happen: The final tax deal will raise rates a bit, giving Democrats a win, but not all the way back to 39.6 percent, giving Republicans a win. That won’t raise enough revenue on its own, so it will be combined with some policy to cap tax deductions, perhaps at $25,000 or $50,000, with a substantial phase-in and an exemption for charitable contributions.
            The harder question is what Republicans will get on the spending side of the deal. But even that’s not such a mystery. There will be a variety of nips and tucks to Medicare, including more cost-sharing and decreases in provider payments, and the headline Democratic concession is likely to be that the Medicare eligibility age rises from 65 to 67.”

            A stupid idea, and completely without base. But it has the usual suspects with headlines going, “Obama, Dems to cave on Medicare.”

            It’s not happening. Nobody bothers saying what happens to the sequester, for one. Medicare was kept out then, but it’s in now? No damn sense.

            But the panic mongers are getting their hits, and that’s what really counts.

            Okay. Thanks for explaining!

            I agree with everything you said, drsquid, but damn, I’m still completely lost as to what went on between you and Rob.

          • drsquid

            As for smart folks in Washington, remember that Dick Morris is considered to be smart folks in Washington.

  • Victor_the_Crab

    Hilarious how Republican assfaces, like Coburn, think they can still call the shots when they obviously have no leverage to use whatsoever.

  • Brucehenry

    I ABSOLUTELY need my SS, which I have paid into for over 40 years so far, when and if I reach the age I can’t work anymore. Lotta nerve, this guy.

  • muselet

    “The $700 billion in savings doesn’t save the government a penny because what it does is takes that $700 billion and spends it on other people,” Coburn insisted.

    Savings aren’t real unless someone suffers, don’tcha know.

    I don’t expect much from the likes of Tom Coburn, but this is just appalling.

    –alopecia

  • ljatlanta

    I cannot believe that after a Democratic win of this magnitude that we’re even seriously discussing helping the GOP drown the most popular progressive programs of the 20th century in Grover Norquist’s bathtub. What we should have “on the table” is politically burning the GOP’s crops, salting their earth, and driving them into the wilderness with the Whigs and the Knownothings.

      Slow down. Democrats haven’t agreed to anything yet…..unless I’m missing something?

      • Lazarus Durden

        You’re not. This is the usual time people on the Left start to panic. It’s all a part of the process.

      • mrbrink

        Am I the only one who finds it both repulsive and comical that Republicans think they can put Medicare and Social Security on the chopping block with a straight face?

        I can’t take them seriously anymore. I look at Boehner, McConnell, Cantor, Kevin McCarthy, on and on, and I see a Tragicomedy.

          >>>”Am I the only one who finds it both repulsive and comical that Republicans think they can put Medicare and Social Security on the chopping block with a straight face?”

          Not at all, Brink. They are a laughing stock, painfully so, as they scare the hell out of old people all over the country. Nothing but dirty, self-absorbed toads.

          hmmmmm, funny I see douches….still funny though ;)

        • Victor_the_Crab

          I see clowns without their makeup, baggy clothes, and big red noses.