Republican Party’s Year In Quotes: Rape Edition

On Up With Chris Hayes this morning, Tea Party Express Chairwoman Amy Kremer looked right into the cameras and, speaking on behalf of all Tea Party Republicans, actually insisted that they have absolutely no interest in social issues, and are only focused on the economy and the debt. (This coming from the person whose basis for a rational discussion with President Obama over these pressing matters begins with: “I just don’t believe that he loves America the way that we do.”)

Their platform calls for a Personhood amendment to the Constitution. They call for the abolishment of labor unions. They only approve of “traditional marriage.” They call for the destruction of the safety net– The dissolution and complete for-profit absorption of Medicare and Social Security– those totally non-social programs that keep seniors out of abject poverty. Nothing socially interesting about all that. Nope.

So, rather than rehash quotes of Newt Gingrich dreaming big and building a moon base, or Mitt Romney stating that he’s not concerned that he likes being able to fire 47 percent of the country while hiring binders full of women and Etch-a-Sketching his way to Leader Of The Free World, or the literally thousands of other ridiculous thoughts uttered aloud by Republican party legislators, operatives, and surrogates over the passed year– here’s this totally disinterested-in-social-issues party of do-gooders focusing on “jobs and the economy.”

10) “I think the right approach is to accept this horribly created — in the sense of rape — but nevertheless a gift in a very broken way, the gift of human life, and accept what God has given to you… rape victims should make the best of a bad situation.” Rick Santorum– January 2012.

9) “I would hope that when a woman goes in to a physician with a rape issue, that physician will indeed ask her about perhaps her marriage, was this pregnancy caused by normal relations in a marriage or was it truly caused by a rape. I assume that’s part of the counseling that goes on.” Chuck Winder(R-ID)– March 2012

8) “There is no such exception as life of the mother, and as far as health of the mother, same thing, with advances in science and technology.” Joe Walsh(R-IL) talking about his pro-life-without-exception for the health of the mother stance– October 18, 2012.

7) “Some girls rape easy.” Roger Rivard(R-WI)– December 2011.

6) “I think even when life begins in that horrible situation of rape, that it is something that God intended to happen.” Richard Mourdock(R-IN)– October 23, 2012(one day after being endorsed by Mitt Romney)

5) “The right approach is to accept this horribly created, in the sense of rape, but nevertheless, a gift of human life, and accept what God has given to you.” Rick Santorum– Republican presidential candidate– January 20, 2012.

4) “If it’s an honest rape, that individual should go immediately to the emergency room, and I would give them a shot of estrogen.” Ron Paul(R-TX)– February 3, 2012.

3)  “Richard and I, along with millions of Americans believe that life is a gift from God.” Senator John Cornyn(R-TX) coming to the defense of Richard Mourdock on October 24, 2012.

2) “It was really an issue about a Catholic church being forced to offer those pills if the person came in in an emergency rape.” Republican Senate candidate Linda McMahon(R-CT)– October 15, 2012.

1) “If it’s a legitimate rape, the female body has ways of shutting that whole thing down.” Todd Akin(R-MO)– August 20, 2012.

I’ll mention that Republican Vice Presidential candidate and current Budget Committee Chairman Paul Ryan and 214 other Republicans co-sponsored the “No Taxpayer Funding For Abortions Act” which would ban federal funding of abortions “except in instances of an act of “forcible rape” or, if a minor, an act of incest.” HR 3– 112th Congress.

Or this chart showing the Republican party busily working toward freedom and liberty.

Or that House Republicans, under the lead of Eric Cantor, are sitting on renewal of The Violence Against Women Act because it has the gall to actually protect women from domestic violence and sexual assault.

When Republican operatives like Eric Fehrnstrom tell us that these things are “shiny objects,” and Tea Party people insist that if they could just be allowed to fix this here economy we would overlook all the rape stuff, be sure to tell them, “no means no!”

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Abortion, Civil liberties, Congress, Economy, Far-right Intellectual Violence, Misogyny, Republican Party, Senate, War On Women. Bookmark the permalink.
  • GeneralLerong

    Too bad our body politic doesn’t seem to be able to shut Republicans down.

    With votes, of course.

    That list of quotes reads like something you might find in MAD Magazine. These people are certifiable, and should not be allowed anywhere near power!

    • mrbrink

      Both Trump and Palin were both asked if there was “an inherent right to privacy in the constitution” and both answered in the affirmative.

      Yes, of course there is a right to privacy, but when Trump, in particular, realized he was contradicting his “pro-life” stance, Donald Trump responded, ” Well, that’s a pretty strange way of getting to pro-life. I mean, it’s a very unique way of asking about pro-life. What does that have to do with privacy? How are you equating pro-life with privacy?”

      They really don’t know, do they?

      I don’t believe Trump ever jumped into the great rape debates, but when it comes to Roe v. Wade, The Donald’s position is clear, saying, “yes, right, sure. Look, I am pro-life. I’ve said it. I’m very strong there.”

      Bam! Very strong there. Pro-life!

      As long as we have republican pillars of the community like Donald Trump and Sarah Palin protecting our right to privacy, America is king, baby! Very strong, there.

      • D_C_Wilson

        Trump is pro-Trump. Everything else is just a means to self-promotion.

        The bizarre thing is, until 2012, he was largely apolitical in his dealings.

        Exactly, Brink!

        These people are dimwitted fakers, pretending to be thinkers when in fact, they would have trouble articulating a single policy position without resorting to nonsense (and we’ve seen a lot of that on Twitter).
        They rely on their fellow dimwits for position, and their greatest commonality is to be found in their adherence to the same crappy religious tenets and their idiocy re government and policy.

        • mrbrink

          Love it.

  • muselet

    Jobs, jobs, jobs.

      And by that we mean abortion.

      -Rachel Maddow

  • Victor_the_Crab

    Yup. Tea partiers, like Amy Kremer, sure do love America.

    They love it for breakfast.

  • D_C_Wilson

    The teabaggers pulled this same bait-and-switch in 2010, promising to eschew social issues and focus “like a laser” on jobs and the economy.

    We all know that, once they got into power, both in the House and in state legislatures across the country, they passed hundreds of bills on abortion and almost nothing on jobs.

    • Draxiar

      Heh…they passed nothing on jobs because they have one. So obviously there isn’t a jobs problem in their eyes…at not one to worry about.

  • http://twitter.com/axomamma Axomamma

    There are actually only nine quotes in the list; 10 and 5 are the same. You’re welcome.