Syria Could Get Really, Really Bad

NBC News:

The Syrian military is prepared to use chemical weapons against its own people and is awaiting final orders from President Bashar Assad, U.S. officials told NBC News on Wednesday.

The military has loaded the precursor chemicals for sarin, a deadly nerve gas, into aerial bombs that could be dropped onto the Syrian people from dozens of fighter-bombers, the officials said.

This regime has displayed zero restraint, with horrific consequences. But if Assad is dumb enough to use chemical weapons, the Syrian crisis could get a lot worse.

Yeah, I’m full of good news today.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Middle East and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • http://www.osborneink.com OsborneInk

    At this point, I doubt Assad is actually insane enough to imagine he can use these weapons and retain any legitimacy whatsoever. I think it’s much more likely he’s escalating the crisis this way to provide cover for evacuating the regime abroad.

    • KABoink_after_wingnut_hacker

      Our local newspaper noted the prospect of the regime evacuating, as well as the concern of chemical weapons falling into the hands of ‘outside interests’. These evil bastards are quite capable of using chemical weapons on their own citizens and then blaming ‘outside interests’ as a cover story made more plausible if they are out of the country at the time. I wouldn’t put anything past them.

    • muselet

      I’m not as confident as you regarding Bashar al Assad’s sanity. I can easily imagine him ordering chemical strikes on his way out the presidential palace door, either to foment chaos that he and his loyalists can later exploit or to give him something to smile about as he sits in his rocking chair at the Old Tyrants’ Home.

      I hope you’re right, though.

      –alopecia

  • Scopedog

    Damn….

    And yet, there are still folks like George Galloway and Russ Baker who are defending Assad and his regime. More people have died under his assaults and yet our attention is elsewhere.

    While I wish that there could be a global intervention, Syria isn’t Libya.

    @Bob: there is a bit of good news today–the teaser for the new STAR TREK film is up. Of course, I don’t know if you liked JJ Abram’s first ST film (I did), but the new one does look interesting, on my view…

  • chris castle

    Had hopes (small ones) for Assad initially, years ago. Now he’s playing sideline chicken with a tomahawk missile. Dude’s got a hot wife though…

  • Brutlyhonest

    I’m retired so have no insight into the anonymous sources behind these “BOO! CHEMICAL WEAPONS” leaks, but the lack of questioning their credibility sure reminds me of the run-up to Iraq.

    • http://www.osborneink.com OsborneInk

      This is the bunker where the weapons are stored. See the truck? See the truck being loaded? Now watch as the truck goes to an airfield. See the truck going into the ordinance prep building?

      I realize that we’ve become cynical, but this is not rocket science and it’s not something anyone needs to lie about. The regime actually is desperate and the weapons are absolutely real.

      • Brutlyhonest

        No need to patronize. I know intelligence and I know rocket science. I also know that nothing like this is disclosed without a desired outcome.

        After over a year of “civil war” in Syria, our corporate media started covering it nearly every night. Assad knew the US wasn’t going to ignore him anymore because he was being called dictator (which he is) instead of just president. I don’t know what they’re after or who’s agenda they’re supporting. But squawking about chemical weapons sure helps give a greenlight to most any intervention by the US or Allies.