The Future of Computer Interfaces

Soon, we won’t have to touch a damn thing:

Leap Motion claims its device is 200 times more accurate than anything on the market and can track your finger movements down to 1/100th of a millimeter.

Microsoft’s Kinect seems archaic in comparison.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Science and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

    How much longer before we live in the Minority Report world…with the holographic computers, not the weird future-seeing police force and extra dangerous hands-free freeways.

    I pre-ordered that puppy! I have been a computer programmer for 15 years now and the use of a mouse and a traditional keyboard has created no small amount of pain and carpal tunnel syndrome (not to mention two pregnancies–one of the leading causes of carpal tunnel). To have a device that frees my hands from these torture devices even if only part of the time, is wonderful.

    • BuffaloBuckeye

      “..the use of a mouse and a traditional keyboard has created no small amount of pain and carpal tunnel syndrome (not to mention two pregnancies–one of the leading causes of carpal tunnel).”

      Yikes. Sounds like something the current GOP would endorse.

        Yes, particularly in light of the fact that I don’t have health insurance because of said carpal tunnel — a pre-existing condition. I’ve been working steadily since I was 14 but I’m a moocher and morally bankrupt because I struggle financially. Yeah, I’m a GOP poster child. ;)

        • BuffaloBuckeye

          First, I’m sorry to hear about your CTS; I’ve got some tendonitis in both thumbs, so I understand how debilitating the pain, loss of strength and flexibility can be.

          I had an intersting email exchange on or about Election Day with a friend of mine who is evangelical, tea-partyish. Obviously, we are at opposite ends of polical & social spectrums. In the pertinent email, he was absolutely flabbergasted that I, who he considers a ‘maker, not a taker’ is as liberal as I am.

          That’s their mind-set; ‘fer us’ or ‘agin us’.

            Gotta love that binary thinking, eh?

    • bphoon

      I sympathize with you–I just had surgery to release a very painful trigger finger yesterday (so I’m having to type around a large bandage) and I also have CTS. The only reason I have health insurance (along with my wife) is because I’m retired military. Otherwise, we’d be SOL.

      As for new computer interfaces, I typically regard them with the same semi-skepticism that I had for brand new helicopter designs when I was flying in the Army: I believe I’ll wait till we see C-Model (given that the A- and B-Model design modifications would precede it) so they have plenty of time to work the bugs out. Having said that, though, it looks like it’d be really cool if it turns out to be reliable. I wonder, though, if it will be able to sense this, since that’s how I feel about a lot that I see on my screen these days:

        Thankfully I think we are a long, long way from our computers being able to sense our cynicism.

  • scvblwxq

    The 1967 comedy-adventure movie “The President’s Analyst” envisioned injecting miniature cell-phones into babies at birth by TPC (The Phone Company) to cut their expenses and give them control.

  • muselet

    While it looks cooler than cool, I—and others, to be fair—see a fairly fundamental problem. Sit at your computer and wave your (unsupported) arms at the monitor for a couple of hours and you’ll see what I mean.

    Plus, if you rub your nose you run the risk of deleting an entire document. Heaven alone knows what might happen if you scratch your ear.

    –alopecia