The NRA is Patently Ridiculous

The NRA says and does a lot of reprehensible things, but this is just nonsensical.

NBC sports anchor Bob Costas believes that Kasandra Perkins’ life could have been saved had her boyfriend, Kansas City Chiefs Linebacker Javon Belcher, not had access to a firearm. The CEO of the National Rifle Association, on the other hand, thinks the situation might have resolved itself had both Belcher and Perkins had guns.

CEO Wayne LaPierre made the case on NRA News, arguing that Costas, “wouldn’t have said a thing [after the shooting] if this woman had saved her life by having a firearm available from Jovan Belcher. He wouldn’t have said anything about it.”

LaPierre said “the one thing missing in that equation is that woman owning a gun so she could have saved her life from that murderer,” which is absurd when you consider that the “murderer” was her boyfriend and the father of her baby.

Is LaPierre implying that Perkins should have been holding a gun in her hands when the altercation took place? Should she have anticipated that she would need a gun? Should she have preemptively stuck a gun in Belcher’s face? How would she know a gun would save her from the father of their child?

Should we all be carrying at all times in fear that, at any moment, even in the presence of family, we might need it?

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Wingnuts and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • http://simplelittleelectrician.blogspot.com/ paleotectonics

    Oh, it gets better. Fox followed up that female call-to-arms by stating that they all best be submitting to their men – Blatent Blog Whore, On Topic

    Their answer is always more bullets.

  • GrafZeppelin127

    Funny how we never see, hear or read about any actual incidents where a bystander with a gun took out a maleficent shooter.

    When that happens, I might put some stock in this idea that people wouldn’t do bad things with guns if the people they wanted to do bad things with guns to, had guns.

  • http://twitter.com/Norbrookc Norbrook

    I grew up around guns, and most of the adults I knew had them. But you know what? Every one of them would have thought Wayne LaPierre was insane. None of them would bring a loaded weapon into the house, none of them dreamed of carrying one around with them unless they were out hunting or it was a job requirement.

    • Brutlyhonest

      I grew up similarly. Hell, I was able to get my hunting license early because I completed NRA-provided/-sponsored gun safety courses.

      Unfortunately, most of the “sane” people I grew up with are now hardcore wingnuts who believe whatever the NRA and other right-wing organizations feeds them.

  • zirgar

    The NRA cares more about increasing gun sales than it does about saving lives, no matter how much it wants you to think otherwise or how much it wants you to believe those two issues are intertwined. In fact, increasing gun sales its main concern.

  • http://twitter.com/JimmyAbra Jimmy Abraham

    But wait…wasn’t the house “full of guns” and many not locked up? There were guns available but none in her hand when he had a gun…which is a flaw in the theory of guns helping one protect themselves. You need to have with you at all times and loaded for it to really make a difference. Something I think is only a recipe for disaster.

    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=593359572 John Foley

      This is why they believe everyone should have a conceal/carry permit. Because we should ALL be armed, at ALL times.
      That’ll fix things.

  • zirgar

    So, Wayne, guns don’t kill people, but guns save lives? How is it that guns are only responsible for good, but not bad? You can’t have it both ways, moron. Make up your mind.

  • Username1016

    Good people with guns are never gonna overcome bad people with guns. Know why? Good people stop and THINK before whipping out a gun and pulling the trigger. (“Is this situation what I think it is? Is there some other way to handle it? Can I stop this guy without killing him?”) In the seconds it takes to THINK, the bad guy just got the drop on you. So is the solution for everyone to become bad guys — ready to pull that trigger WITHOUT stopping to think?

    The question answers itself.

  • muselet

    Charlie Pierce is fed up to the back teeth with Wayne LaPierre, too.

    Isn’t there a woman in Florida facing 20 years in prison for doing just what Wayne LaPierre suggested? Good idea LaPierre, you little dickhole!

  • excitablerooster

    If only there were more guns in Afghanistan, that whole issue would be settled already. Right?