The War on Women Continues

Michigan Republicans’ omnibus anti-abortion bill has been signed into law by Governor Rick Snyder.

Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder (R) has approved a controversial package of abortion restrictions that will limit abortion access for women who live in rural areas, require doctors to prove that mentally competent women haven’t been “coerced” into their decision to have the procedure, and enact unnecessary, complicated rules for abortion clinics and providers. The governor signed HB 5711 into law on Friday despite widespread protests against the omnibus anti-abortion measure. [...]

Even some state lawmakers who supported HB 5711 acknowledge the law isn’t actually intended to protect women. “This is about protecting fetuses,” one Republican legislator explained.

Governor Rick Snyder claims the bill is meant to protect women, because old white guys at the state capital know what’s best for you and they’re here to protect you from having personal freedom and making your own decisions.

Won’t you thank them?

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in War On Women and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • mrbrink

    The physical manifestation of stripping reproductive rights and labor protections is no less authoritarian, tyrannical, than a boot to the throat.

    Only, their boots are more like loafers with the little tassels. Which makes this all the more chilling.

    • JMAshby

      My mother would say “they wear white socks with their black loafers”

    • Victor_the_Crab

      Interesting. Because a boot to the throat is how I’d like to thank these Republican douchebags for their misogynistic policies becoming law.

      Absolutely. These people are fascists.

  • trgahan

    Wow…Michigan is going to become a glowing red state whether the majority of the population wants to or not…

    • atlavely

      What will it take to repeal these laws when the new legislature is seated?

      • D_C_Wilson

        Snyder’s impeachment.

        What new legislature? The Republicans are still in control.

        • atlavely

          Sorry. Without checking, my bad, I thought that all this lame duck “work” was because the R’s had had their majority taken away by reasonable voters.

  • muselet

    Reuters:

    Snyder vetoed a separate measure on Friday that would have restricted insurance providers and businesses from providing elective abortion coverage in employee health plans.

    The bill also would have forced the victims of rape or incest who did not purchase separate abortion coverage to pay for the procedure out of pocket.

    “I don’t believe it is appropriate to tell a woman who becomes pregnant due to a rape that she needed to select elective insurance coverage,” Snyder said in his veto message.

    “And as a practical matter, I believe this type of policy is an overreach of government into the private market.”

    Notice please the rationale Rick Snyder used for vetoing the second measure. Government overreach into the private market is unacceptable, but government overreach into private decisions is just fine and dandy.

    And as a practical matter, how in hell is anyone supposed to prove a lack of coercion? (Yes, yes, I know it’s a pretext to prowl through the medical records of every OB-GYN in Michigan. Still, don’t the requirements of a law have to be possible, at least theoretically, to comply with? It is, as logicians inform us, pesky difficult to prove a negative.)

    Won’t you thank them?

    I would, but I don’t think the way I’d like to do it is strictly legal.

    When Rick Snyder was running for office in 2010, he liked to be known as “one tough nerd”, whatever that might mean, I think he intended that we relate him to other smart “nerds” such as Bill Gates. Of course, he is nothing of the sort, and he was just reaching for an image that we could relate to.

    Snyder refused to debate his opponent, and when finally shamed into one short debate, he refused to give any indication of what he had planned for Michigan. That should have been a big fat clue to the Democrats and Independents who voted for him.

    Snyder did make a few promises when he was running. He said he would be non-partisan. He said he would bring business to Michigan. He said he wouldn’t raise taxes.

    He raised taxes on the elderly (taxing their pensions) the minute he took office, at the same time as he reduced taxes on the wealthy. He took away tax incentives enjoyed by the film industry (probably because, you know, the film industry is Liberal), causing them to pack up and leave for friendlier states.

    He directed the Republican controlled legislature to shove the Emergency Financial Mgr law through both houses, and signed the EMF law even thought it was as UN-Democratic a mandate as has ever existed in this country.

    Thanks to Rick Snyder, the blue union stronghold that was Michigan is now a right to work for less state, many of our rights have been either completely revoked or have been severely abraded. After we revoked the EMF law via the ballot, Snyder has said, essentially, “screw you the people”, and brought it back. That’s right. Your vote no longer matters in Michigan.

    Yep, the fascists are in charge, and I really don’t know what it will take to send them to hell, but I know that I will work to end Snyder’s political career, and to elect a Democrat to replace him in 2014 if it’s the last damn thing I ever do.