They Aren’t Serious

CNN’s Dana Bash reports that John Boehner’s latest fiscal cliff proposal included a permanent extension of the Bush Tax Cuts.

Washington (CNN) – One of the reasons Tuesday night’s conversation between President Barack Obama and John Boehner did not go well was because the GOP House speaker sent the White House a fiscal cliff proposal calling for a permanent extension of Bush-era tax cuts for all Americans, including for incomes in the top 2%, a Democratic source said Wednesday.

Democrats took the GOP counter offer to mean that tax reform cannot result in any marginal rates higher than current law, according to the source, who said Boehner’s proposal was a “sign” to Democrats that “Boehner and the GOP are unwilling or unable to do any sort of deal that can pass the Senate or be signed by the president.”

It’s incredibly unlikely that the Republicans will find themselves in a position to extend tax cuts for the wealthy even temporarily, so to propose that we extend them permanently is laughable.

If the first thing White House aides did upon reading it was laugh, I would not be surprised.

The Republicans aren’t serious people, and because they aren’t serious we’re probably going to have to deal with sequestration at least in the short term.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Epic Fail and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • bphoon

    I guess they thought that either the President was bluffing the multiple times he’s said publicly that he will sign no deal that doesn’t include raising tax rates on the top 2% or that his staff had suddenly turned as stupid as the GOP House staff and would forget read the fine print.

  • D_C_Wilson

    We’re going over the fiscal cliff.

    Weeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!

    I’m guessing this means that Super Grover still has enough congressional republicans by the balls so that they’re scared shitless to even contemplate raising taxes.

    Fuck ‘em. Let the rates expire and then have Pelosi introduce a bill lowering everyone’s tax rates except the top earners to what they are now. Then it’s a tax cut and republicans will have a tough time explaining why they’re against lowering taxes for 98% of Americans.

  • Victor_the_Crab

    Like oil and water, so does seriousness and John Boehner.

  • muselet

    Ryan Grim:

    House Speaker John Boehner and his Republican negotiating partners have said they don’t believe the White House has made them a serious offer and that President Barack Obama has refused to budge on spending cuts. Tuesday’s suggestion that all the Bush tax cuts be extended permanently was a sharp signal to the White House that Republicans don’t feel the president is being reasonable.

    Translation: Barack Obama is behaving as if he’s engaged in a negotiation, and House Republicans have decided to throw a temper tantrum instead of negotiating.

    The House Republicans are children (no offense intended to actual children).

      Don’t forget that the republican idea of negotiation is: You give me everything I want in exchange for nothing.

    Without letting my raging synicism get in the way of relevant thought–here’s a couple: One, I think that the only thing the Republicans hate worse than taxes is Medicare and Social Security. They have sold their souls to the hidden oligarchs who want to run this country and now there is nothing they can do but filibuster, shit their pants and whine.

    A second relevant and rational thought is that Boner is slow-rolling this thing until after the majority vote for the speaker job. Instead of exercising some leadership, Boner is covering his own ass.

    • ElayneB

      Let’s clarify. They hate taxes on the rich. The rest of the country? They couldnt care less.

  • trgahan

    Just seems like Boehner is under orders to keep stalling and give the propaganda wing time to swing public opinion.

  • ElayneB

    OMG, I heard Grover on PBS tonight. Seriously? People are afraid of a man with a girl’s voice? He’s either sucking helium or suffering from Low T.