This Isn’t a Joke. Okay Maybe It Is.

At least one Texas lawmaker is taking the War on Christmas very seriously, and he intends to file legislation to put a stop to it!

via ThinkProgress

A Texas state representative pre-filed legislation that would allow public school officials to use “traditional winter greetings” such as “Merry Christmas” and “Happy Hanukkah” on school grounds.

The “Merry Christmas Bill” would grant “the right to celebrate on school property with displays associated with those holidays, including Menorahs, Christmas trees and Nativity scenes.”

The “Merry Christmas Bill.”

From the local media

“This bill originated when I picked up my first-grade son from school last year and asked him how his day went. He told me that his class had decorated their holiday tree with holiday ornaments. When I asked what a holiday tree was, he told me it was the same as a Christmas tree,” Bohac said. “After inquiring with school officials as to why the term “Holiday Tree” was being used, it became apparent that the school was fearful of litigation. It was that moment that inspired me to file legislation that would provide students, parents, teachers and administrators a safe harbor for openly celebrating a Federal holiday.”

I simply can’t read that you’re trying to provide “safe harbor” for people to celebrate Christmas without bursting into fits of uncontrollable laughter.

Look, if this is that big of a deal to you, your priorities are irrevocably out of order. You probably have no business holding public office, either.

Don’t mess with Texas.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Epic Fail and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Joseph Markowitz

    What about the war on Yom Kippur? Lots of schools are open on that most important holiday. But they are all closed on Christmas!

  • http://www.facebook.com/people/Kevin-Krupski/100002308768984 Kevin Krupski

    Well, seeing how great the Texas school system, health are coverage, crime rate and how they can take care of themselves so well with no Federal Aid, this is a top concerned!

  • D_C_Wilson

    I’m going to start calling it a Saturnalia tree.

    • Draxiar

      YEAH!

      LOL, also, too, the Festivus Tree or the Yule tree (or is this second one too Christmasy sounding?)

    Okay, I want the schools to incorporate fasting during daylight hours the entire month of Ramadan for the Muslims….and don’t forget to add legislation to reserve a day off to celebrate Holi for the Hindus in Feb/March….and all of the Solstices for the pagans…..I could go on and on and on. Either we accommodate them all specifically in law or we don’t do any of them. I vote for no establishment of any religion by the state and so did the Founding Fathers. Gahhhhh, the crazy stoopid, it hurts!