Too Little Too Late

Could this be some good news on the climate crisis?

Not really.

President Obama is “putting in place the building blocks for a climate treaty requiring the first fossil fuel emissions cuts from both the U.S. and China,” Businessweek reports.

“State Department envoy Todd Stern is in Doha this week working to clear the path for an international agreement by 2015. While Obama failed to deliver on his promise to start a cap-and-trade program in his first term, he’s working on policies that may help cut greenhouse gases 17 percent by 2020 in the U.S., historically the world’s biggest polluter.”

I realize that China is a major hurdle in all of this, but while I’d like to see this as positive news, I can’t get excited about a 2015 agreement given how action needs to be taken now.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Environment and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • http://profiles.google.com/myquest Michael West

    This probably falls under “best it’s going to get.”

  • Draxiar

    I hope this is an indication that President Obama will not approve the Keystone XL.

  • MrDHalen

    Bob,

    We’re talking a Manhattan project on a global scale in less time to really make the changes needed to curb our trajectory. Now it’s about surviving what coming our way and trying not to make it worse.

    The sad part is billions of people don’t believe in a process that you can recreate simply by lighting a fire in an unventilated room.

  • Chachizel

    “While Obama failed to deliver on his promise to start a cap-and-trade program in his first term”
    First of all, there’s NO way BO could have gotten this through the 112th Congress, or the filibuster crazy Senate of his first 2 years. With that said, the sad reality is that the people just don’t care. I live in a Houston suburb that is very much the stereotypical Texas suburb. Big haired blonde ladies, cowboy music, big trucks, etc., etc. They just don’t care. Drives me cray to see people sitting in their SUVs with the AC blasting and the engine running, and they’re just waiting for someone or something. It’s a societal problem, and because of that, there is just not the political will to make these tough choices. To be honest, I’m scared of the world that we are leaving for my children and grandchildren.

  • D_C_Wilson

    Don’t worry.

    I’m sure the republicans have a plan to kill even this modest 2015 plan.