Unhinged

Whatever the future brings, Justice Antonin Scalia will leave a permanent, ugly stain of the history of the nation.

via ThinkProgress

In a Princeton University speech Monday, Justice Antonin Scalia defended his opposition to LGBT equality and his previous comments equating homosexuality with murder and bestiality. […]

Scalia defended his extreme rhetoric, noting “I don’t think it’s necessary, but I think it’s effective,” and told the audience that legislatures have the right to ban that which they believe immoral. He also dismissed the importance of the Bill of Rights as an “afterthought,” compared to the U.S. Constitution’s overall structure, observing, “Every tinhorned dictator in the world has a bill of rights.”

Again, I believe both the Defense of Marriage Act and California’s Proposition 8 will be struck down, but there should be no doubt that Scalia and the eternally smug and bitter Justice Thomas will be ardently in favor of both. Not because either necessarily passes the constitutional smell-test, but because gays are ‘icky’ and because they’re crotchety, angry, bitter men. And won’t you please get off their lawns.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in LGBT and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • roxsteady

    Scalia is a hairy ape who should have retired long ago. I’m hoping that he’ll step down before the end of Obama’s next 4 years because he and Thomas are two of the biggest assholes to ever sit on the bench! I hope the President appoints Kamala Harris so that we’ll finally have an African American on the bench that we can be proud of. Thomas isn’t it!

    • muselet

      I’m hoping that he’ll step down before the end of Obama’s next 4 years …

      Not going to happen, alas. He’ll die in office just to spite everyone.

      –alopecia

      • MrDHalen

        You see the truth!!! Damn your eyes, you see the truth of it!!!!

  • Not Sayin

    The last person I heard equate homosexuality with murder was my great-grandmother, some 20 years ago. She was reading the paper and muttered to herself, “Homosexuals…worse than murderers.” I was hoping she took that sentiment to the grave with her a few years later, but apparently it lives on. Truly disgusting words from Justice Scalia.

  • Madam1

    This from the guy who ruled that corporations are people and therefore have the same rights as people. If that is so, how is it that actual people don’t have the same rights as other people. (Did I say people enough yet)

    • MrDHalen

      You forgot to drop the mic!!! Wait, I think you may be to classy for that. :-)

  • GrafZeppelin127

    Scalia really, really hates the idea that anyone has any rights at all. I say that having read a whole bunch of his opinions, including what he wrote in Lawrence and Romer, in which he basically said “I have no problem with gay people, but…” and went on to list all the problems he has with gay people.

    But it’s not just gays; he seems to be an equal-opportunity misanthrope. His opinions almost always read as a wholesale, categorical rejection of the very concepts of civil and human rights. You have no rights, he says to us; the law doesn’t owe you sh**. You’ll do what you’re told, and keep in your place, and if you don’t like it, tough tooties. (Unless, of course, “what you’re told” is that you have to purchase health insurance if you can afford it, and the telling is done while there’s a Democrat in the White House….)

    The other day I said Scalia was “a bit of a dick” when it came to substantive due process and unenumerated rights. I was being kind. This man does not belong on the bench in any court, let alone the highest court in the land.

    • muselet

      “Misanthrope” is a good description of Antonin Scalia. He seems to loathe everyone who’s not him, including his fellow Supreme Court Justices; it’s remarkable the contempt that drips from his dissents.

      And Scalia’s the guy who, let us never forget, the Right insisted was such a towering intellect that he’d be a shoo-in for Chief Justice. I wouldn’t want him judging a pie-eating contest at a state fair.

        He looks like he’d eat all the pies.

    • MrDHalen

      Graf,

      I often wonder how people who practice law, study it, and take it seriously view Scalia. He seems to be someone who should never have made it to the seriousness of the SCOTUS. Does the legal world view him as a black eye on their very serious profession?

  • Victor_the_Crab

    Antonin Scalia needs to feel sodomy. From the end of a burning, white hot poker!

  • KABoink_after_wingnut_hacker

    This hate-filled despicable little man has no business commenting on human rights issues let alone sitting in judgement of anyone.
    Scalia should recuse himself for offering this stupidity before the case is even argued and be reminded of Will Rogers’ words; “Never miss a good chance to shut up”.

  • trgahan

    Scalia is the embodiment of the right wing view of the constitution. It’s the greatest document ever written, except the parts that empower people/groups the GOP base doesn’t like.

    • KABoink_after_wingnut_hacker

      Ain’t that the truth!

      Oddly reminiscent of their view of the Bible, too. “Every word is God’s Own Truth,… except the parts that interfere with our supremacy/profits/privileges.”

      • MrDHalen

        Amen to that!!!

  • D_C_Wilson

    If Scalia wants to be a right wing pundit, he should resign and send his resume to Roger Ailes.

  • bphoon

    Fuck him.

    He also dismissed the importance of the Bill of Rights as an “afterthought,” compared to the U.S. Constitution’s overall structure, observing, “Every tinhorned dictator in the world has a bill of rights.”

    Apparently Scalia doesn’t accept the broader context in which the Bill of Rights exists–like our society and the rule of law, etc, etc. Not to mention contradicting himself within the matter of a few minutes. First he states that he is perfectly okay with the Legislature legislating issues of morality but the Bill of Rights, ratified by the Legislature, the natural extensions of the Constitution….that’s just poppycock to him.

    WTF?! How the hell did this sack of bile make it to SCOTUS?

    • Victor_the_Crab

      ‘Cuz Saint Ronnie of Raygun annointed him. And no one EVER questions Saint Ronnie of Raygun’s wisdom.

        Aha, that ‘splains everything!