Why Did Dick Armey Leave FreedomWorks?

Because he’s batshit crazy.

The partnership came to a crashing end when Armey marched into FreedomWorks’s office Sept. 4 with his wife, Susan, executive assistant Jean Campbell and the unidentified man with the gun at his waist — who promptly escorted Kibbe and Brandon out of the building.

“This was two weeks after there had been a shooting at the Family Research Council,” said one junior staff member who spoke on the condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to talk to the media. “So when a man with a gun who didn’t identify himself to me or other people on staff, and a woman I’d never seen before said there was an announcement, my first gut was, ‘Is FreedomWorks in danger?’ It was bizarre.’ ”

[…]

Armey appeared out of touch and unsure of how FreedomWorks operated when he took over that Tuesday morning, according to interviews with more than a dozen employees on both sides who witnessed the takeover. Sitting in a glass-walled conference room visible to much of the staff, he placed three young female employees on administrative leave, then reversed himself when they burst into tears; his wife lamented aloud that maybe they had “jumped the gun.”

Dick Armey literally staged an armed coup, and it failed. After it failed, he was paid to leave so he would not have an opportunity to run the organization into the ground. And if he was using an armed guard to escort people out of their jobs, someone could have been killed.

Of course we use the term “crazy” relatively, because FreedomWorks is no slouch in that department. With that said, Dick Armey’s attempted coup was obviously too much even for them.

  • Nefercat

    And if these clowns had actually been around back in the days of our fledgling nation, they would have been Tories (for all the wrong reasons), and also the ones who turned in people suspected of being on the colonists side. Gutless, cowardly weasels.

    • D_C_Wilson

      That’s what kills me. The original Boston Tea Party was a protest against special tax breaks for the East India Company that were designed to drive the small tea houses under. The modern tea party is a bunch of corporate shills would have been first in line to defend the East India Company as “job creators”.

      • nathkatun7

        You know, DC, Something has gone terribly wrong in this country because a large segment of the population is totally ignorant of the real history of the country.

          For TPTB that’s a feature, not a bug.

          Those who do not know history are more easily duped.

    That is NUTS! I wonder why the victims didn’t call the police on him. I mean, threatening someone with a gun….geez.

    • gescove

      Agreed. Who the hell is allowed to do this and get away with an $8 million payoff?

        IOKIYAR Seriously, anyone else would have been charged and arrested…..There is still the civil liability. If I was those victims, I would band together and sue the living sh*t out of FreedomWorks. It’s their fault they let that nutbag in the door in the first place. But I’m sure the employees won’t do that…to work there one must buy into their particularly ugly brand of conservatism.

    • D_C_Wilson

      In fairness (and it kills me to says this), it only says that the guy wore a gun at his waist. I don’t think you can be charged with threatening someone with a gun unless you actually draw it.

  • zirgar

    A cuckoo coup.

    PS–isn’t this the sound Sheriff Rosco P. Coltrane used to make on The Dukes of Hazzard?

  • Ned F

    Then they gave him 8 million to go away. He really is a dick army.

  • muselet

    Maybe this is the Righty equivalent of giving two weeks’ notice.

    Seems like further proof of the far right’s style of seizing power at all costs; however, once in power, it has no ability or desire to actually lead. Sure, Armey may be crazy, but what is so different from what he did and when the Tea Party took over the House in 2010 and promptly told American that all our problems were because of the existence of PBS?

    Putting the bananas in banana republic(an) since…..

      And, to reply to my own self….

      I live in what was once an actual banana republic… back when United Fruit (aka, buncha rich white Murrkan dudes) owned the government. People here took care of that, and I’m sure they’d be glad to give y’all up in Norte some pointers in getting rid of the wannabes.

  • Victor_the_Crab

    A dick army of one.