Worst Person in the World

Matt Lauer for being a paternalistic tabloid-monger:

Hathaway had a “wardrobe malfuction” while getting out of a car at the New York premiere of Les Mis. Because our culture is gross like Matt Lauer, photographers quickly snapped shots of Hathaway’s crotch and then spread them all over the internet. And then Lauer treated the photos like they were news. He opened the interview with “Seen a lot of you lately,” which Hathaway gracefully tried to laugh off. But Lauer kept pushing, leaning towards her with a knowing look of paternalism *shiver*: “What’s the lesson learned from something like that?” You can just hear the question continue, “you naughty girl. Dirty, dirty girl.” Ick.

Hathaway’s response was fantastic:

Well, it was obviously an unfortunate incident. Um, I think— It kinda made me sad on two accounts. One was that I was very sad that we live in an age when someone takes a picture of another person in a vulnerable moment and, rather than delete it, and do the decent thing, sells it. And I’m sorry that we live in a culture that commodifies sexuality of unwilling participants, which brings us back to Les Mis, because that’s what my character is—she is someone who is forced to sell sex to benefit her child, because she has nothing and there’s no social safety net. And I— Yeah, so, um, so let’s get back to Les Mis.

Yep, the TODAY show has reduced itself to being TMZ. I’m surprised Lauer didn’t use a telestrator to draw comments on the photos, Perez Hilton style.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Worst Persons and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • zirgar

    I never liked Matt Lauer. I never understood his appeal. Having read about this incident twice in the past couple of days I’m left to wonder why he didn’t just go over to Hathaway, lick her neck and say, “You know you want it.” What a dick.

      His behavior made my skin crawl…..ewwwwww

        me too!!

  • chilisize

    Unbelievable that this tool could be considered part of the cream of the crop of American media.

    So there, Matt, you insipid douche bag.

    “Seen a lot of you lately”

    Hathaway’s response was perfect. If I were Hathaway, however, I would have walked out.

    Fucking creep.

  • LK3

    He is disgusting. And yet, they fire everyone else who works with him.
    Anne is a class act.

  • muselet

    Egads.

    I’d have thought a decent human being would not have said anything so revolting, and certainly wouldn’t have followed up. He owes Anne Hathaway a personal apology, and he owes the producers of Les Misérables a professional apology.

    And I hope his wife makes him sleep on the sofa until he does apologize.

      I hope his wife threatens to reveal his affliction (tiny penis) if he persists in slut shaming!