Worst Persons in the World

Senate Republicans prevented the U.S. from ratifying a treaty on Tuesday which would extend existing rights for disable people in the U.S. to disabled people in other countries. And they did so out of irrational paranoia and misinformation.

The Senate Tuesday fell short of the two-thirds vote required to ratify a United Nations treaty aimed at securing rights for disabled people around the world, when the vast majority of Republican senators voted against the treaty. The final vote was 61-38 vote. All the nay votes were Republican.

The Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities essentially makes the 1990 Americans With Disabilities Act a non-binding international standard. It requires no change to U.S. law.

It requires no changes to U.S. law, so why did the Republicans vote against it?

Because it mentions something about the U.N., which as you’re probably aware solicits all manner of conspiracy theories from Republicans.

“I do oppose the CRPD because I think it does impinge upon our sovereignty,” said Sen. Jim Inhofe (R-OK). “Unelected bureaucratic bodies would implement the treaty and pass so-called recommendations that would be forced upon the United Nations and the U.S. … This would especially affect those parents who home-school their children. … The unelected foreign bureaucrats, not parents, would decide what is in the best interests of the disabled child, even in the home.”

Not only is their opposition based on a conspiracy theory, it’s also seemingly based on the idea that home-schooling is as big of a fad in other countries as it is here in the U.S. where people home-school their children out of spite.

This is why our Congress is a laughing stock in the western world.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Worst Persons and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • gescove

    A sad and shameful day in the US Senate. Made more painful by having Bob Dole there, in a wheelchair, to watch his former colleagues and long-time “friends” betray him with their votes against ratification. Holy effing hell. The US Senate is a disgrace.

  • Nefercat

    I would have more respect for these nincompoops if they demonstrated a clear and accurate understanding of the treaty and then stated that they would vote against it simply to be mean and nasty bastards.

    But being entrusted with voting in regard to a treaty of the United States and being so abysmally, willfully stupid and/or ignorant that they base their vote on falsehoods and email forwards about the legislation in question? Without being able or willing to weigh the validity of the source? Or having the sense to have a staffer research the issue in question? That should be grounds for being thrown out of the Senate as unqualified to serve.

    Fight against a bill or treaty or whatever based on opposition to its content to your heart’s content, however praiseworthy or repugnant your stance is. Your constituents will either support you or they won’t.

    But if you are too stupid or unethical to vote honestly on the actual content of the bill, get out. Just get out. Or we should be able to throw you out.

    • bphoon

      …being so abysmally, willfully stupid and/or ignorant …

      While literally anything is possible with the likes of Jim Inhofe, I don’t think they’re actually being willfully stupid or ignorant. I think they know damn good and well what the treaty contains and that it has precisely zero effect on US law or US students, home schooled or not. I think they’re using this bullshit screen so they can vote against anything UN and anything even loosely connected to the president. Doesn’t matter to them, either, that this treaty was negotiated by the Bush Administration.

      Dipshits, blockheads, assholes, butt-fucked up beyond all recognition…I just can’t think of a description bad enough for these…whatevers…

      • Victor_the_Crab

        How ’bout diarrhea spewing.

        • bphoon

          That’s a possibility but, somehow, not quite…there, you know?

  • Draxiar

    Will someone please disable the motherfuckers that voted against this?

    I truly hope the reasonable Republicans left in Congress look at this and mark it as positive proof that their party is off the rails paranoid and fucktarded beyond compare…because the rest of the world knows it.

    • gescove

      I looked up oxymoron in the dictionary and found “reasonable Republican” given as an example.

      • Draxiar

        HA! I thought I might get a comment or two on that hopeful statement.

        *salute*

      • nathkatun7

        Totally nailed it, gescove!

  • http://www.facebook.com/people/Oscar-Jimison/100001431764474 Oscar Jimison

    Consider the nonsense from Sen. Inhofe; that the treaty impinges upon American sovereignty. Now couple that with the concerns of Republican Sen. Mike Lee from Utah; that the treaty has no enforcement mechanism. So their fear is that this is, in the words of John Stewart, “An all powerful one world treaty, with no enforcement mechanism”.

    This is why our Congress is a laughing stock in the western world.

    They really are. It’s fucking embarrassing when I talk to my German relatives and they draw comparisons……………jesus.christ.

    The 112th Congress will be immortalized in the history books as the single WORST Congress EVER.

    Fucking buffoons!

  • rob black

    They should be forever know as “the dirty thirty eight”….and ridiculed at every opportunity. Every interview, every press conference, every event.
    As Stewart wondered…..” is this the bottom yet”?

  • Victor_the_Crab

    Nothing that a pair of brass knuckles on his smug, evil face wouldn’t do to fix James Inhofe’s bad attitude. Fucking douchebag!