Worst Persons in the World

This is a page from The Herald newspaper in South Carolina. Can you spot what’s wrong with this picture?

Yes, that’s a giant gun sale ad placed right in the middle of a story on the Sandy Hook school shooting.

The Herald has issued an apology, but their apology leaves me even more baffled than before.

But we at The Herald should have recognized the unfortunate juxtaposition of the advertisement with stories and a photograph about gun violence,” the newspaper’s editor, Paul Osmundson, wrote in a column on Saturday. “Multiple editors worked on the page and should have noticed the problem. We all made a terrible mistake, and for that I apologize.”

“Multiple editors” looked at this and didn’t see a problem?

I guess our gun culture will render you blind like that.

(photo via @DianneG)

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Worst Persons and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Victor_the_Crab

    An unfortunate juxtaposition. Riiiiiiiiiiiight!!!!!

      Yeah, I bet the folks at Nichols Store couldn’t be happier with the ad placement… “Lookee here, Cephus, they don’t even have to look for the ad when they read the article. We’re dadgum guaranteed to get the most bidness outta this, yeehaw!!”

  • agrazingmoose

    It is South Carolina. They don’t see anything wrong with this sort of thing until people give them a hard time.

    • mrbrink

      They should all wear helmuts. Their brains are bumping into walls all the time. They back up, they go forward, and the wall never moves. They back up, they move forward.

      I’d buy stock in plastic ponchos because when the day comes and their heads finally start exploding from the repetitive self-inflicted blunt force trauma, it’s going to get messy. I don’t want any of that shit on me.

  • BuffaloBuckeye

    Well, there you go. For $300 or so, you can get junior a handgun to put in his lunchbox. Who wouldn’t want a stocking-stuffer like that?

    assholes

      And right on cue….