Your McRib Has A Lot of Weird Crap In It

The McRib is back on the McDonald’s menu again. And it’s soooo good for you:

These components are in small enough quantities to be innocuous. But it’s still a little disconcerting to know that, for example, azodicarbonamide, a flour-bleaching agent that is most commonly used in the manufacture of foamed plastics like in gym mats and the soles of shoes, is found in the McRib bun. The compound is banned in Europe and Australia as a food additive. (England’s Health and Safety Executive classified it as a “respiratory sensitizer” that potentially contributes to asthma through occupational exposure.) The U.S. limits azodicarbonamide to 45 parts per million in commercial flour products, based on analysis of lab testing.

Small enough to be innocuous, but when combined with all of the other crap we eat… The cumulative effect is really, really bad.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Food and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Draxiar

    Sweet Pete we put food through too many unnecessary processes and inject it with too many unnecessary ingredients.

  • D_C_Wilson

    What little meat that is in McDonald’s food is easily the healthiest ingredient.

    I can’t anything from McD’s, not even the salads, without becoming ill. I avoid them at all costs and I started this long before we learned about the crap they put in their non-food.

  • muselet

    Azodicarbonamide may not be entirely benign—certainly breathing the stuff is a bad idea—but it’s not the instant-death toxic sludge the Times Union piece implies it is.

    I’d be more worried about the 980mg of sodium and 10g of saturated fat in a McRib as a health hazard.

    (I haven’t eaten any McDonald’s food in probably eight or ten years, but back when I were a lad I ate a few McRibs. They were okay, but I consistently picked up a weird aftertaste. Maybe it was from the oddly-colored sauce, maybe it was from the—as the ad for Krusty Burgers put it—USDA letter-grade meat. Whatever it was, it put me off the things.)

    Never ate a McRib before, thank God.