A Not So Good Guy With a Gun

I agree with Josh Marshall. This is one of the most tragic gun stories I’ve read since Sandy Hook. And it’s all about a man who thought he was one of those “good guys with a gun” the NRA has been telling us about.

Rodrigo Diaz, 22, was driving around with his girlfriend and two friends when he pulled into a driveway, thinking they had arrived at another friend’s house, his brother says. But instead he pulled into the driveway of Phillip Sailors, 69, who thought his home was being robbed, his lawyer says. Sailors then shot Diaz, according to the police report, citing what Sailors told officers at the scene. Diaz later died after surgery.

“Basically, what happened is they were looking for one of my brother’s girlfriend’s friends,” says his brother David E. Diaz-Valencia, 23. “The guy came outside and my brother’s girlfriend said he was screaming, ‘Get off my property!’ and he shot into the air. My brother was backing out fast because he was scared and he rolled down the window to say he was sorry and he was not doing anything wrong. Then the guy shot him in his head.”

Unless there’s more information to the contrary, no mental health database or background check could’ve prevented this. It’s all about the guns and the culture of paranoia surrounding them. Just awful.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Guns and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • http://www.osborneink.com OsborneInk

    Are you following the story of the man in Alabama who shot the school bus driver, kidnapped a child, and retreated into his Glenn Beck doom bunker? Guns and a culture of paranoia are a toxic mix.

  • Draxiar

    Part of me likes to think that these lunatics will snap out of their Thulsa Doom hypnotism and realize that they’ve been under a spell doing things they never would have normally.

  • trgahan

    A car mistakenly pulls into Sailors driveway and his default reaction is to A) charge out of his house armed and fire a warning shot, then B) after the people were clearly leaving and no threat to Sailors, he STILL shots one dead.
    I agree, if this is the whole story, then Sailors actions are the result of the dehumanizing racial paranoia propaganda the gun culture spews daily. Sailors seems to have been waiting for an excuse to teach “them” a lesson to be able to shot a defenseless human being. He likely didn’t even see a human, but “everything that is wrong with America” in his crosshairs.

  • Dennis Pool

    When I first heard this story, it reminded me of an incident that galvanized support for gun control measures in the early 1990s: the unfortunate murder of Yoshihiro Hattori, a Japanese exchange student in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, who was gunned down when he showed up at the wrong house for a Halloween Party.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoshihiro_Hattori

  • Victor_the_Crab

    How will the likes of Wayne LaPierre and Alex Jones try and spin this without further drilling themselves into the ground?