Another Inauguration, Another Controversial Pastor

Last time around it was anti-gay Rick Warren giving the invocation, now it’s this guy:

The Rev. Louie Giglio, the Atlanta pastor of Passion City Church who will deliver the benediction at President Barack Obama’s inauguration, is under fire for anti-gay preaching and for calling Christians to respond to the gay-rights movement’s “aggressive agenda.”

In a sermon, “In Search of a Standard – Christian Response to Homosexuality,” posted on Discipleship Library, a Christian website that archives sermons, Giglio tells listeners that being gay is a sinful choice and that gay people will be prevented from “entering the Kingdom of God.”

The “only way out of a homosexual lifestyle … is through the healing power of Jesus,” he says. “We’ve got to say to the homosexuals, the same thing that I say to you and that you would say to me … it’s not easy to change, but it is possible to change.”

Is it so hard to find a pastor who hasn’t described gay people as porn stars? Is there anyone vetting these guys?

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in LGBT and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Draxiar

    Given that the National Catherdral will now perform same sex weddings it seems in poor taste to choose this clown for the benediction given his past statements.

  • http://www.dlancystreet.com reginahny

    To me, the question is: is it so hard to have an inauguration (or other political function) without a freakin’ invocation?

    • KABoink_after_wingnut_hacker

      Thank you!
      Why do we have to listen to rattletrap about someone’s mythical deity?
      And it’s always the same group!
      I say we recognize all superstitions starting with the Cargo Cults.

    I find it hard to believe that the president is okay with this guy being a part of the inauguration.

    And if he is okay with it, I’d seriously like to know WHY.

      I will tell you why Nicole. Because nobody asked the President. And he hasn’t weighed in on the issue himself. Which is kind of disappointing in its own way. Rick Warren was such a disaster at the last inaugural I have learned not to have high expectations about what my fellow ministers and pastors are going to say or do. Nothing surprises me anymore. After a generation of people like Jim Dobson, Rick Warren, Ted Haggard, Pat Robertson and the rest of the conservative wacko gang, I am just a salmon swimming upstream with sharks. The sharks are idiots, of course, but I just keep swimming. Yeah–I guarantee you–no body asked the president what he thought about who would give the invocation.

        Yeah, that’s what I’m thinking too.

        Adds……this is from the link you posted above:

        The Presidential Inaugural Committee issued a statement in response to Giglio’s withdrawal.

        “We were not aware of Pastor Giglio’s past comments at the time of his selection and they don’t reflect our desire to celebrate the strength and diversity of our country at this Inaugural,” Addie Whisenant, a spokesperson for the committee, said. “As we now work to select someone to deliver the benediction, we will ensure their beliefs reflect this administration’s vision of inclusion and acceptance for all Americans.”

          “We were not aware…” That’s rich ain’t it? I got a tip for the inaugural committee: Get aware! When you are discussing ministers who are going to speak in public, get some awareness. Here’s another thought: Why not just get the chaplain of the senate. He is someone who has been screened, vetted, he is well known, and you have heard him talk! And as Rick Warren proved four years ago, it ain’t that big a %^&*$ deal…no one comes to an inauguration to hear the preacher speak. Jeezuz… Thanks Nicole. I needed that.

            Haha…my pleasure, Michael!

    I just learned that Giglio is withdrawing from the inaugural. It is tough enough to be an ordained minister and a progressive. I was not prepared to defend the inaugural committee’s decision to include this redneck–no more than I would defend Rick Warren and his neocalvinistic view of the world. But from my view people like Louie Giglio and Rick Warren are backward neanderthals who are not capable of understanding freedom and love for all people no matter who they love. They are not speaking of the same gospel that I have understood from my studies and experience.