Anti Gay Marriage Crusaders Are Broke

According to this report from Reuters, the primary backers of the California’s gay marriage ban are close to financial ruin.

(Reuters) – Foes of same-sex marriage are laboring to pay the tab for an epic legal case now before the U.S. Supreme Court, as the movement suffers from fundraising shortfalls that could sap its strength in future battles.

ProtectMarriage.com, the advocacy group defending a California gay marriage ban now under review by the high court, showed a $2 million deficit in its legal fund at the end of 2011 – the third year in a row that expenses exceeded donations, federal tax records show.

The 2012 accounts are not yet available. ProtectMarriage.com says it has since covered the 2011 shortfall. However, it is still $700,000 short in fundraising for its Supreme Court costs, according to a ProtectMarriage.com attorney, Andrew Pugno. […]

“Unless the pace of donations starts to pick up right away, we could soon be forced over a financial cliff,” ProtectMarriage.com said in an email to donors earlier this month.

Donations are drying up, but the good news for opponents of gay marriage is that most of their remaining donors are probably unaware of the idiocy their money is funding.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in LGBT and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • KABoink_after_wingnut_hacker

    When you engage in dirty tricks, your actions have a way of biting you in the ass.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_hyT7_Bx9o
    Mark my words, California will recognize marriage equality soon.

  • http://www.facebook.com/people/Douglas-Jones/1039564193 Douglas Jones

    Andy Pugno ran for a State Legislature spot in a Republican-friendly District.

    He was too crazy for even that electorate. Thank the Lord he lost.

  • muselet

    “Unless the pace of donations starts to pick up right away, we could soon be forced over a financial cliff,” ProtectMarriage[dot]com said in an email to donors earlier this month.

    That sounds like every televangelist’s pitch to his marks—erm, I mean parishoners—doesn’t it?

    –alopecia

  • http://profiles.google.com/bh4099 Thx 4 Fish

    Seems God is sending a message to the people of ProtectMarriage.com telling them to call it a day.