Best Persons

Mark your calendar. A Republican is today’s best person.

The Speaker of the Florida House, Will Weatherford, has come out against the GOP plan to gerrymander the electoral college.

“To me, that’s like saying in a football game, ‘We should have only three quarters, because we were winning after three quarters and they beat us in the fourth,” Weatherford, a Republican, told the Herald/Times. “I don’t think we need to change the rules of the game, I think we need to get better.”

Get better? Heresy!

It seems obvious to me that their inability to “get better” is why some state legislatures are now considering stealing elections. It’s really quite pathetic and unbecoming of adults.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Best Persons and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Draxiar

    Well, that’s the end of him. He’s talking sense and the Republican Party just can’t have that. They’ll vote him out and replace him a window licker.

  • West_of_the_Cascades

    Add Jill Vogel and Ralph Smith – two Republican Virginia State Senators – to the list, they are opposing the bill on the same issue. http://www.usnews.com/news/politics/articles/2013/01/25/gop-senators-will-oppose-va-electoral-change

    Not sure how they square their new principled opposition to the mid-term gerrymandered redistricting they pushed through under dubious circumstances on Monday, but perhaps they just caught so much crap for that stunt that they understand what a death-blow to the GOP this electoral college vote rigging would be, and how much of a boon to Democratic registration and get-out-the-vote efforts for the next two to four years (to try to flip as many of the republican congressional districts Democratic for both the House and Presidential elections). The GOP should not underestimate how badly its efforts to limit early voting and disenfranchise people in Ohio, Florida and Pennsylvania hurt them in the 2012 election.

  • muselet

    Steve Benen this morning:

    … [P]ay particular attention to Weatherford’s reasoning, because it’s important. As he sees it, the only reason a state would choose to play this game is if Republicans assume they’ll keep losing at the presidential election– and on this, Weatherford is absolutely correct.

    We talked about this yesterday with Virginia — if Republicans thought they had a credible shot at winning the state in future elections, they’d have no incentive to rig the way electoral votes are allocated. Why would the GOP run the risk of giving the Democratic candidate some votes when they can try to win the state and give the Democrat nothing?

    […]

    For the [Florida] GOP to go along with the election-rigging scheme, Republicans would have to assume that they’re no longer in a position to seriously compete in a state they just lost by 0.8%, so they’ll have to start cheating.

    From a GOP perspective, that would be crazy, and Weatherford and [state Senate President Don] Gaetz are right to be skeptical.

    I’m disinclined to give Will Weatherford much credit here.

    A Republican says he doesn’t want to rig the Electoral College and that’s enough for him to be Best Person? You’re too kind. Seriously, you’re too kind.