Colin Powell On GOP: “Dark Vein Of Intolerance”

On this Sunday’s Meet The Press, Colin Powell was asked by David Gregory about his views on today’s Republican party. Colin Powell spoke candidly about the state of the party as he sees it.

Via Think Progress:

POWELL: There’s also a dark — a dark vein of intolerance in some parts of the party. What do I mean by that? I mean by that that they still sort of look down on minorities. How can I evidence that?

When I see a former governor say that the President is “shuckin’ and jivin’,” that’s racial era slave term. When I see another former governor after the president’s first debate where he didn’t do very well, says that the president was lazy. He didn’t say he was slow. He was tired. He didn’t do well. He said he was lazy. Now, it may not mean anything to most Americans, but to those of us who are African Americans, the second word is shiftless and then there’s a third word that goes along with that. The birther, the whole birther movement. Why do senior Republican leaders tolerate this kind of discussion within the party?

It’s becoming old news hearing Colin Powell try to talk sense to his party, and it’s a testament to the Republican party to disappoint a guy who worked side by side with George W. Bush, but I found it particularly poignant that Powell went on to say,

“everybody wants to talk about who is going to be the candidate– you better think first about what’s the party actually going to represent.”

That’s why the Republican party deserves no pity. Whom, or what, do they actually represent? The demographics are not on their side, and they refuse to change, or soften in their collective rigidity. They’re still trying to pass Sanctity Of Life acts, giving full legal rights to zygotes and amend the constitution to make abortion a capital crime. At this very minute they’re threatening to crash the global economy again and again until the American people and the world over recognize the power and divine righteousness of right wing conservatism!

Unfortunately for America and Colin Powell’s sobering advice, the Republican party is not listening, and instead of doing all any of that– because it’s humanly and scientifically impossible– they’re working frantically to restructure the way they communicate their already carefully-worded crazy, not to communicate new ideas, mind you, but to better protect an insidiously anti-social platform.

Because everyone knows it is better to look good, than to feel. Anything.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Far-right Intellectual Violence, Quote, Racism, Republican Party, War On Women, Wingnuts and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

    He is right, of course. But I have to say that my respect for him diminishes more for each year that he remains a member of the Republican Party.

    I’m torn about this, but it seems to me that It’s past time to take sides in every way………and that includes party membership. Am I wrong to expect this?

  • muselet

    I’ve never been impressed by Colin Powell and while I’ll mark him three out of ten for speaking out against the GOP’s view of minorities, I’d give him seven out of ten if he didn’t reflexively protect the bigots in his party (it was Sarah Palin who said Barack Obama was “shuckin’ and jivin’” and it was John Sununu who said Obama was lazy, not merely “a former governor” and “another former governor”).

    [Now-irrelevant paragraph deleted]

    –alopecia

  • KABoink_after_wingnut_hacker

    Colin Powell spent most of his life earning his stripes and stars with distinguished service for our country, but forsook it all when he became a spokesman for American war criminals of the last administration.
    He is a smart man in many ways, but until he offers an apology for aiding and abetting President Cheney and the shrub for their war crimes, he can just go fuck himself.

      My sentiments exactly. When he testified about the WMD and insisted there was a threat is the exact moment I started feeling this way.

  • jasperjava

    In Palin’s defense, how was she to know that “shuckin’ and jivin’” were offensive racist terms? She’s not exactly well versed in American history, or with the meaning of words in the English language.

    Maybe she thinks “shuckin’ and jivin’” was what Paul Revere was doing when he warned the British not to take away our guns.

  • D_C_Wilson

    I’m surprised Gregory let Powell get through that entire paragraph without interrupting with, “Yeah, but the democrats are just as bad! Didn’t some obscure blogger say something mean about Romney’s religion on Twitter? That’s totally the same thing as a former governor using racially charged terminology on cable TV, amirite?!”

    Derp