David Mamet’s Latest Far-Right Screed

By now you might’ve seen David Mamet’s pro-gun screed in Newsweek in which he basically assembled every NRA bumper sticker into essay form. It’s just as wingnutty as everything else he’s written since he strangely transformed from a far-left liberal to a far-right conservative. TNC called attention to this particularly nonsensical paragraph:

The Founding Fathers, far from being ideologues, were not even politicians. They were an assortment of businessmen, writers, teachers, planters; men, in short, who knew something of the world, which is to say, of Human Nature. Their struggle to draft a set of rules acceptable to each other was based on the assumption that we human beings, in the mass, are no damned good — that we are biddable, easily confused, and that we may easily be motivated by a Politician, which is to say, a huckster, mounting a soapbox and inflaming our passions.

No. The founding fathers were absolutely politicians. They were members of state houses and, of course, they were delegates to the Continental Congress, and subsequently many went on to be presidents, senators and so forth. They were all professional politicians. All of them. Does Mamet think they were a gaggle of yokels frantically studying copies of “Constitutions for Dummies?”

Mamet also noted the “struggle to draft” the Constitution. Exactly. They had to engage in politics and compromise in order to draft and ratify it — just as they did with the Declaration and the Articles of Confederation. Therefore they were politicians. And this only covers a few examples. Sheesh. And this drivel was worthy of Newsweek?

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Guns and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • http://www.facebook.com/people/Rich-Morgan/100000299284844 Rich Morgan

    “…biddable, easily confused, and that we may easily be motivated by a Politician, which is to say, a huckster, mounting a soapbox and inflaming our passions” – the Funk & Wagnalls definition of the Tea Party.

  • trgahan

    “and this drivel was worthy of Newsweek?”

    I don’t know, most media pundits (especially conservative ones) peddle similar simplistic, historically inaccurate interpretations the initial formation of our government and the intent of the Founding Fathers. Especially since the same “thinkers” that praised the wisdom of the American people and our government process in 2000 and 2004 are now calling us an uninformed, easily duped, rabble and demanding the system changed (if not by process then by force!).

  • Dennis Pool

    Bob, you’re right, every single one of the Founding Fathers was a politician. Saying otherwise is absolutely moronic. Of the signers of the Constitution, all but one held an elected or appointed political office, many prior to being at the Constitutional Convention. The one who didn’t was a career military officer and later the personal secretary to Washington.

  • muselet

    And this drivel was worthy of Newsweek?

    Yes, because Tina Brown thrives on meaningless controversy.

    “And this drivel was worthy of Newsweek?”

    You know, until I read this, I thought Newsweek had gone out of business.

    • D_C_Wilson

      They have ceased to be a print publication and are now just an online appendix of the Daily Beast.

  • zirgar

    Let’s say this is true: “Their struggle to draft a set of rules acceptable to each other was based on the assumption that we human beings, in the mass, are no damned good — that we are biddable, easily confused, and that we may easily be motivated by a Politician, which is to say, a huckster, mounting a soapbox and inflaming our passions.” What, this only applies to liberal politicians, is that your implication, or liberals in general? I suppose this would never apply to mortgage bankers or stock traders or anyone in the private sector, or even a Republican politician, would it Mr. Mamet? I’ve always thought you were one of the most overrated writers and playwrights alive and now that you’ve turned hard to the right I have no doubt you’re overrated as a person now, too.

  • D_C_Wilson

    “And this drivel was worthy of Newsweek?”

    Sadly, under Tina Brown’s rule, yes.