Divide and Conquer

This evaluation of the forthcoming second Obama term is about right:

As President Obama approaches his second inaugural, one thing has become clear: The 2008 peacemaker politician has emerged as a skilled guerrilla warrior. If Bill Clinton’s tactical legacy was disarming his opponents by stealing their ideas — welfare reform, ‘personal responsibility,’ cutting spending — Obama’s may be his skill at dividing to conquer his Republican foes.

Liberal memory has glossed over this not insignificant part of the Clinton legacy: his “the era of big government is over” mantra, his willingness to go full Republican on many issues and the fact that the DLC was his idea.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in President Obama and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

    Not my memory….I never forgot that Clinton was a centrist and none of us should forget that the President really is as well. He just has to play like a really tough, very left liberal because the right has veered so far out into loony land.

  • KXA

    Present “Liberal” memory and websites such as this one continue to gloss over President Obama’s own, not insignificant,”Clinton like” fascination with Republican governance; see extending and normalizing the national security state through FISA and the Patriot Act, aggressive militarism, protection of torturers, prosecution of whistleblowers, protection and lack of prosecution of big banking, decreasing public sector employment, ACA (see Heritage Foundation), etc. Could this not easily be seen as hard nosed, realistic “Clintonian” pragmatism or even the dreaded “triangulation”?

    Now, I have been accused of being a “troll” on this site before when being critical of Obama’s policies, so I’ll ask the “Obama fanboys” to help me understand Obama’s own description of himself as a 1980s moderate Republican, “The truth of the matter is that my [Obama] policies are so mainstream that if I had set the same policies that I had back in the 1980s, I would be considered a moderate Republican.”

    I agree that Obama has brought us forward in some areas and is far superior to McCain or Romney but isn’t that an awfully low bar?