Here Comes the Skeet Shooting Truthers

My Wednesday column:

Way back in mid-August of 2006, President Bush was dealing with two ground wars; crises in Israel and Lebanon; a midterm election; a housing market on the verge of collapse; the forthcoming hurricane season (Katrina was just a year earlier); a laundry list of scandals; and the day-to-day struggle to basically run the free world (or pretend to run the free world, depending on who you ask). Earlier in 2006, he struggled with numerous other critical events at home and abroad including rising gas prices, immigration reform, the Dubai ports deal, the Plame-Gate investigation and his vice president shooting a lawyer in the face.

Yet he somehow found time to read not one, not five, not 20, but 60 books that year so far. Sixty! That’s around seven books per month, from January up to mid-August. According to US News & World Report, he was engaged in a competition with Karl Rove to see who could read more books over the course of the year. At the time of the article, Rove is trailing by 10 books, until November when Diebold put him up by three. Rimshot.

By the way, in May of that year, Bush was being interviewed by a German reporter in the Oval Office. Bush pointed to a painting of George Washington and said, “That’s George Washington, the first president, of course. The interesting thing about him is that I read three — three or four books about him last year. Isn’t that interesting?”

Yeah, the only “interesting thing” about George Washington that Bush could recall after having read four books about the first president was that he’s read four books about the first president. Oh, Bushie, you magnificent doofus.

Of course, I don’t begrudge anyone who chooses to read that much literature (sixty books!) — especially if that someone is a student or an author or a shut-in or a prison inmate or simply a person who is fortunate enough to have a lot of free time. But the president, any president, shouldn’t have more free time than me.

But there weren’t any Democratic members of Congress or cable news pundits who questioned whether Bush was telling the truth about this amazing intellectual feat (given his other responsibilities). Because that’s what Republicans do. They’re excellent at turning everything President Obama says into a serious question of his veracity or an outright conspiracy theory.

Yes, there appears to be a Skeet Shooting Truther, or “Skeeter,” movement picking up steam on the far-right. [continue reading here]

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in The Daily Banter and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • ranger11

    What a buncha dumb fucks. There will never be a normal political environment in this country again.

  • i_a_c

    Eric Bolling is a liar and a racist. Dana Perino may be the dumbest human being–check that–dumbest warm blooded creature on television.

  • zirgar

    Where’s the proof you ever go the bathroom to take a shit, Mr. President? Why has there been no mention of this?

      He could give film himself doing it and provide a bucket full of shite and they STILL wouldn’t believe him.

  • JimmyAbra

    OK, not defending these dolts…Of course we know he doesn’t skeet shoot “all the time.” He does play basketball all the time…but the point it, he may have done it at one time…who cares. He is clearly doing the typical politician (and human) thing of blowing smoke up some targets’ arses…What is just stupid that the pundits (and common man) should know better. Unfortunately the GOP Entertainment Complex caters to idiots and thus needs to report like idiots.

    Fucking morons.

  • mrbrink

    I remember when John Kerry was bullied by the gun nuts in the 2004 election.

    – A Vietnam Vet. Bullied by the gun lobby.

    I just hope the president can avoid the race/gun baiting imbeciles who are looking for a photo op of the president with a gun.

    One second you’re making a comment about skeet shooting at Camp David and the next thing you know you’re in a field wearing camouflage and giving a thumbs up to the death of your dignity.