How to Give Kids Nightmares

This is unspeakably asinine and a depressing example of where we’re at here in America.

CHICAGO (CBS) — A school shooting drill planned for tomorrow in the far northwestern suburbs has many parents upset.

According to a letter from Cary-Grove High School principal Jay Sargeant, there will be a code red drill at the school on Wednesday.

It will include somebody shooting blanks from a gun in the hallway “in an effort to provide our teachers and students some familiarity with the sound of gunfire.”

You can’t window-dress this. If we’re in a situation where we feel the need to familiarize children with the sound of gunfire in their school’s hallway, our society very close to being irrevocably fucked if it isn’t already.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Guns and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • KABoink_after_wingnut_hacker

    I honestly can’t see something this idiotic happening in any other country in the entire world other than USA with it’s demented gun culture.

  • http://twitter.com/RobTorresPS Roberto Torres

    Close to..? I’ve believed this for quite a few years already. All you have to do is look around and see the sheer amount of stupidity that has infected our culture. Never under estimate the power of stupid.

  • gescove

    Sweet weeping Jesus.

  • http://twitter.com/tlavely Tony Lavely

    I guess that school’s not close enough to downtown Chicago, where the sound of gunfire is all too frequently heard.

    • stacib23

      I’ve lived in Chicago 40 years of my life, and worked downtown for over 20 of those years, I’ve never heard gunfire down. South side, west side you would have a point, but downtown???

    I grew up about a hundred miles from Chicago in downstate Illinois. I went to elementary school in the sixties. I can remember in my school years our fear and paranoia that the Soviet Union was going to bomb the piss out of the strategic barns and grain elevators we had there in central Illinois. So from time to time we would have drills and hide under our desks in simulated nuclear attacks. I can report with assurance that those attacks never came. It turns out we were, for the most part, afraid of an enemy of our own creation. Whether or not the Soviets ever had us targeted for destruction is a discussion for the Cold War historians. To be sure, our doctrine of mutually assured destruction (MAD) worked to prevent us from being killed or conquered by the USSR.

    So where are we now? Are we seriously suggesting that we hold drills and simulate gunfire to keep our kids safe? The problem here, as I see it, is that we are no longer paranoid about an enemy that will never attack us or harm our kids. The Soviet Union–as Ronald Reagan would so eloquently exploit–was a straw man for our own desires to build more weapons, more ships, and recruit bigger armies for the neocon’s fascination with forcing our will upon other nation states. But a machine gun toting crazy person bent on total death and destruction is no a straw man. They are the real enemy. They mean to kill us and our children–make no mistake about that. But this is not the answer. If we have come to the point where we live in such paranoia that all we can do is familiarize ourselves and our children with the sound of gunfire to protect ourselves from killers then I agree with Ashby: We are as a society–truly and irrevocably fucked.

      Yeah I remember those drills and they gave me nightmares, far worse than the tornado drills we had in Memphis.

  • mrbrink

    With guest speaker Vietnam flashback guy demonstrating how to skin a man with a ruler from his ass to his mouth.

    I honestly am beginning to feel that we are descending into a third-world country.

    • D_C_Wilson

      We’re skipping third-world status and heading right toward the world of the Road Warrior.