In Which David Brooks Misses the Point. Again.

David Brooks wrote a piece yesterday in which he makes a case for a second, “smarter” Republican Party to counter the regionalized far-right tea party faction. It’s probably not a bad idea for powerful yet moderate members of the party to gather strength and at least push back against the dominance of the extremists who are rapidly choking the party.

But then he goes on to name names. Bobby Jindal, Paul Ryan and Ted Cruz.

[Gameshow Buzzer Sound] Sorry, no. Try again.

Jindal is all over the place. One minute he’s calling for the Republicans to stop being the stupid party. The next minute he’s being stupid. And then there’s serial liar and Ayn Rand disciple Paul Ryan. And Ted Cruz is new to the Senate, but the other day he accused combat veterans John Kerry and Chuck Hagel of hating the military. Smart.

But sure, if you want a second Republican Party run by the some of the same doofs who ruined the first one, have at it.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Republican Party and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Draxiar

    For him to identify those three people as being moderate only tells you how far to the right the Republican party has swung.

    Until the Republican party (in almost all aspects), on a collectively massive scale, starts to speak reasonably, stops using their tools of fear and paranoia as a means of collecting votes, and stops demonizing cooperation with Democrats then they won’t be able to kill the monster they’ve allowed to run their party.
    They also have to convince their constituents not to get swept up by and vote for the Teabaggers. This is damage that could take a long time to reverse.

  • GrafZeppelin127

    Why is it that simple logic and common sense always drives ideologues to reach really stupid conclusions when they’re backed into a corner?

    First it was that marriage exclusivist trying to justify exclusivity by calling access to marriage a “special reward” for being straight, and thus having the capacity to perform a valuable service to the state by producing offspring.

    Now I’ve got a guy telling me that the risks associated with firearms are exactly the same today as they were in 1780, because anything you can do with a semiautomatic assault rifle now, you could have done then with a barrel of gunpowder. Seriously.

    WTF is wrong with these people?

    I hope I’m wrong, but I’m thinking that the sane, moderate (i.e., NOT “modern” Republicans) Republicans are, at this point in time, vastly outnumbered by the extremists who have taken over (and those extremists certainly include Ryan and Cruz…..probably Jindal as well)

    This is largely because the extremists (the Christian Right) have been very persistent and clever in pushing their message over the past 30 years (since Reagan). Think Koch brothers.

    Can sane Republicans reverse this? Possibly not, and certainly not anytime soon.

    Adds……….David Brooks is an ass.

  • gescove

    Can you please stop posting pix of Ryan (R-Doofus, P90Xth Congressional District) channeling Fresh Prince of Bel-Air? Seriously, I throw up in my mouth a little every time.

  • mrbrink

    Yeah, that’s some piece of shit commentary from David Brooks. His pulse seeking finger is just fist deep up his own ass.

    He props up Jindal, Ryan, and Cruz as the future by questioning whether or not they’ll ever be smart enough to be just a little bit smarter than the nearly complete morons they all are, despite David Brooks’s best condescending self-help efforts to get them to suppress their obsession with being themselves.

    Then he invents a Republican party that already exists as a beaten and bullied minority within the party.

    Bravo.

  • muselet

    Bob, you actually expect better of David “salad bar at Applebees” Brooks?

    –alopecia