Indescribable Hypocrisy

This is not only grossly hypocritical, it’s also cowardly.

A major Catholic health provider has successfully dismantled a wrongful death lawsuit brought against it by arguing — in defiance of its own long-held doctrine — that a dead fetus is not the same as a dead person.

The case involves the 2006 death of 31-year-old Lori Stodghill, a woman seven months pregnant with twin boys, who was brought in to the emergency room at St. Thomas More Hospital in Cañon City, Colorado, on New Year’s Day.

According to her husband Jeremy, Lori was vomiting and had shortness of breath — symptoms that would later be attributed to the clogged artery that caused her untimely demise.

After he parked the car, Jeremy returned to the ER to find Lori unconscious. Less than an hour later she would be dead of a massive heart attack, and her twins would die with her.

To make a long story short — doctors and hospital staff sat idly by while the woman and both of her twins died. And to escape the resulting lawsuit, the Catholic hospital argued that fetuses aren’t people.

Repeat — a staunchly anti-abortion Catholic hospital argued that fetuses aren’t people in court.

You see, we talk a big game, but when push comes to shove we will compromise everything we stand for to avoid taking responsibility.

One may assume this kind of maneuver would anger the anti-choice movement, but I wouldn’t hold my breath.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Abortion and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • http://twitter.com/GodIsDead Gern Blandston

    I posted this very thing on FB a few hours ago, just waiting for the fallout now. It’s worse than hypocrisy, it reveals beyond question the very rotten core of a very rotten organization. The Catholic Church has nothing to do with God and everything to do with Power.

      ” The Catholic Church has nothing to do with God and everything to do with Power.”

      Spot on. But I would add that this is the case with organized religion in general.

    “when push comes to shove we will compromise everything we stand for to avoid taking responsibility and as a result having to pay out massive amounts of money.”

    FTFY. Look how they avoided taking responsibility for the thousands of years of institutionalized pedophilia. They wanted to hide their involvement and avoid paying out a bazillion dollars in damages.