Lance Armstrong Might Confess to Doping Allegations

This happened to be one of my New Year’s predictions:

Lance Armstrong, who this fall was stripped of his seven Tour de France titles for doping and barred for life from competing in all Olympic sports, has told associates and antidoping officials that he is considering publicly admitting that he used banned performance-enhancing drugs and blood transfusions during his cycling career, according to several people with direct knowledge of the situation. He would do this, the people said, because he wants to persuade antidoping officials to restore his eligibility so he can resume his athletic career.

I doubt he’ll ever return to cycling, but he absolutely wants to try for next year’s Ironman world championship in Kona. So he’d not only need to come clean, but he’d also need to reach a deal with the USADA obviously, and I can’t see any deal that doesn’t involve a suspension that lasts at least two years.

No matter what happens, I still strongly believe that the investigation and outcome were entirely unjust, regardless of his guilt or innocence.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Cycling and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • http://twitter.com/scifritz scifritz

    If someone is guilty how can any investigation into uncovering that guilt be unjust? Are you saying that the resources thrown at it were too much and that maybe others should have been the focus? I see it as he was known to be guilty and he was trying every trick in the book to keep his fake innocence. So no injustice done, in my opinion. He just make it cost more.

      We don’t know if he’s guilty yet. He hasn’t confessed and the investigation was shoddy.

      • http://twitter.com/scifritz scifritz

        We know he is guilty of doping…or we do with 99.9% certainty. Are you being the Carl Rove of Lance doping scandal? Him confessing is just conceding the facts we all know. By him not confessing does not undo his doping.

    • muselet

      I will say what I’ve said every time this subject has come up: Lance Armstrong may have used PEDs (with a probability asymptotic to 1.000), but the USADA is simply not credible. (LA Dog Trainer part one and part two.)

      –alopecia

  • chris castle

    I think we need to accept that he doped and lied about it, for years. I was a huge fan throughout his career – HUGE – but I refuse to be intellectually dishonest with myself by continuing to support him. It’s turning out that Lance was nothing but an illusion, and it’s time to start looking elsewhere for inspiration. In fact, the distinct possibility that PED’s contributed to his cancer (i.e. triggered it and/or accelerated it) should give pause to anyone who still considers him to be a Hero to the Cancer Community. I hope USADA ignores his request…

  • Joey

    This sentence is ridiculous “No matter what happens, I still strongly believe that the investigation and outcome were entirely unjust, regardless of his guilt or innocence.”