Montana Bill Would Spank Convicted Criminals

It’s difficult to verbalize how insane this is. And, yes, a Republican came up with it. Spankings for convicted criminals.

Montana State Rep. Jerry O’Neil (R) is sponsoring a bill to allow defendants to “bargain with the court” to receive “corporal punishment in lieu of incarceration.” The bill would apply to not just misdemeanor crimes, but also felonies — though the bill requires that the “exact nature of the corporal punishment to be imposed” be “commensurate with the severity, nature, and degree of the harm caused by the offender.”

John S. Adams, who covers the Montana legislature for the Great Falls Tribune, wrote : “The measure is already raising eyebrows and is sure to catch the attention of those on the lookout for ‘bat crap crazy’ legislation this session. Republican leadership has been doing its best to tamp down any potential bills the other side might use to embarrass the GOP as they work to craft a budget. This one apparently didn’t get tamped.”

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Republican Party and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

    “The bill requires that the “exact nature of the corporal punishment to
    be imposed” be “commensurate with the severity, nature, and degree of
    the harm caused by the offender.””

    I’m guessing that means the punishment for theft will be cutting off a hand.

    They’re just trolling now, aren’t they?

  • http://www.facebook.com/karla.furr Karla Perkins Furr

    What’s next,Rethugs? Dunking stools for witches?

  • Nefercat

    And the spanker gets to chant, “Oh, you filthy, nasty, nasty, boy/girl. You are a bad, bad, naughty, naughty, naughty, little boy/girl, aren’t you? Bend over again, and again, and again.”

    Right?

    • Draxiar

      Exactly my first thiought on reading the title.

    • muselet

      “Thank you, sir! May I have another?”

      Except there’s no safety word.

    • Victor_the_Crab

      We have but one punishment…

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtcSYPjJbgg

  • Username1016

    I guess the impulse that produces Talibans is alive and well in the good old USA…

  • Draxiar

    “exact nature of the corporal punishment to be imposed” be “commensurate with the severity, nature, and degree of the harm caused by the offender.”

    AAAAARG….Ye scurvy dog! Fer stealin’ me treasure I be ropin’ ye to tha’ mast fer 30 lashes with tha’ cat o’ nine tails and then we be keelhaulin’ ye!

  • 1933john

    In 1938 when I was in the first grade, I pissed on the spanker, I don’t recall the reason for the punishment.

  • Brutlyhonest

    A) Simple “solutions” for simpletons.
    2) Another sexually deviant republican comes out of the closet.

    • http://twitter.com/SugaRazor Razor

      No doubt. I guaran-damn-tee this guy has a ballgag in his mouth on the weekends.

  • gescove

    By all means, lets follow the fine example of Singapore and hold public canings.

  • mrspeel2

    I’d like this idea better if it was applied to the legislators who bring up these “bat crap crazy” ideas in the first place!

    HOW DOES SUCH AN IGNORANT PERSON EVEN GET ELECTED??

  • D_C_Wilson

    “exact nature of the corporal punishment to be imposed” be “commensurate
    with the severity, nature, and degree of the harm caused by the
    offender.”

    So, will there be a conversion chart? Will theft be worth ten lashings, simple assault 50, and assault and battery 100?