No White Hoods Required

House Republicans could have picked a better place to hold their weekend retreat to discuss, among other things, how to communicate successfully with women and minorities. They could have gone on a booze cruise, or retreated to a nice bed & breakfast, maybe some hug-therapy at Eric Cantor’s house, but they went ahead and they retreated to Kingsmill Resort, formerly known as Kingsmill Plantation.

The website tells their story:

Kingsmill is a place steeped in honored traditions and genuine Southern hospitality. When the first English foot was placed in Virginia, it was here on these grounds that once served as a central part of the area’s plantation life in the 1600s through 1800s.

They’re steeped! Steeped in honored traditions and Southern hospitality!

This is where House Republicans are discussing successful communications with women and minorities, and how to subdue the momentum of the country’s first black President on the weekend of his inauguration. A country club resort located on an old plantation.

The theme of this year’s retreat is, “Many Voices, One Confederacy Conference.”

As one of the highlights of the weekend, Republicans will be inspired by guest speaker Erik Weihenmayer– the first blind man to climb Mt. Everest.

The jokes write themselves, and the outreach continues…

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Congress, Epic Fail, Racism, Republican Party, Slave Narratives, Voter Suppression, War On Women, Wingnuts and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • stacib23

    About 10 years ago, I worked for a small management consulting company. We had a team building trip scheduled that was right outside New Orleans. Unbelievably, the owners booked us into a bed and breakfast that had been a plantation. For me, as a black woman, it was positively surreal walking onto the property and somehow, everybody ended up in the “big house” except me who was booked into what had obviously been the slave quarters. Walking between that house and where I was to sleep was mind-numbing. Amazingly, nobody could understand why I couldn’t see the charm of the place. I should also mention, I was one of only two black people that even worked for this company.

    • http://twitter.com/tlavely Tony Lavely

      “Somehow”? You are too, too, kind.
      Bless you.

      As a white woman, I would have stood for you, spoken out, because that would have been the right thing to do.

      FUCK the white people who own the place, along with your white co-workers!

      You really were too kind to people who are delusional at best, racist at worst, and likely a combination of both.

  • muselet

    After the election, every prominent Republican and Righty talking head insisted there was nothing at all wrong with the GOP’s policies; instead, the party had to make a better effort to communicate with those groups which don’t support Rs.

    Oh, they’re communicating, all right.

    Surely you don’t mean… the blind leading the blind?

    • mrbrink

      Nailed it.