Obama to Sign 19 Executive Orders On Gun Control

This is a big f@#king deal:

President Obama this week will embrace a comprehensive plan to reduce gun violence that will call for major legislation to expand background checks for gun purchases and lay out 19 separate actions the president could take by invoking the power of his office, lawmakers who were briefed on the plan said Monday.

Lawmakers and other officials said that the president could use a public event as soon as Wednesday to signal his intention to engage in the biggest Congressional fight over guns in nearly two decades, focusing on the heightened background checks and including efforts to ban assault weapons and their high-capacity clips. But given the difficulty of pushing new rules through a bitterly divided Congress, Mr. Obama will also promise to act on his own to reduce gun violence wherever possible.

And cue the right-wing freakout — complete with impeachment threats.

Rep. Steve Stockman (R-Texas) is threatening to file articles of impeachment against President Barack Obama if he moves to change gun regulations through executive order.

“I will seek to thwart this action by any means necessary, including but not limited to eliminating funding for implementation, defunding the White House, and even filing articles of impeachment,” Stockman said.

This fight is only getting started, and it’s going get way more insane.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Guns and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • GrafZeppelin127

    I love the guns/cars analogy.

    When it comes to cars, we have mandatory licensing, registration and insurance, regular periodic renewal thereof, prerequisite education and testing, vehicle ID numbers, seat belts, air bags, crumple zones, safety glass, child-seat mounts, crash testing, sideview mirrors, brake lights, regular periodic safety inspection, traffic laws, traffic signals, traffic signs, speed limits, highway patrol with radar, breathalyzer tests, and strict liability for traffic violations.

    Or as the NRA/GOP would call it, “confiscation.”

    • JimmyAbra

      Exactly…also, we have regulations on car configurations and what is allowed on the road and what should be only in closed racing venues, which are regulated for safety in themselves. So, I wouldn’t have a problem if someone wanted an assault weapon it can be stored at a regulated armory and they can use it only within its confines and can’t take it away without special permissions and rules…

      Along with the car analogy, I love the “Secret Sevice” analogy meme…Obama needs the secret service to keep him self but doesn’t want YOU to have a gun…Besides the fact there is not total ban on guns, which the meme seem to imply, when was the last time the secret service was involved in a shootout? They are highly and frequently trained, check backgrounds, and their last defense is the gun. They are about identifying an issue before it happens and then protect rather than shoot…another meme/analogy when picked apart is the opposite to what they are getting at…

      • GrafZeppelin127

        The “Secret Service” meme is doubly stupid because it’s just a way of expressing resentment and self pity. Every American has men (and women) with guns protecting them from harm; they’re called police officers.

        When I was a teacher I sometimes had to explain to parents, who were demanding more personal attention or special treatment for their own children and themselves than would be reasonable for a teacher with five classes and 160 students to provide, that as a teacher I was a public servant, not their personal servant. Thus my direct, personal obligation to them and their individual child was limited, and subordinate to my obligation to the school, the student body as a whole, the Department of Education, the City and the State.

        The problem these people have is that police serve the public, where the Secret Service serves the President personally. It makes them feel insignificant and thus resentful. Why does the President get special protection, where I only get general protection? Why aren’t the police my personal servants, instead of just public servants?

  • trgahan

    I expect the level of bitchy bitter white guy whining will hit 11 in the coming weeks. President Obama using executive orders to help regulate guns (regardless of what he really can or can’t do) is pretty much as perfect an “It Begins!” event gun nuts have been looking for since 1990.

  • jeremydium

    Hell yeah man. I am so ready to have this fight.

  • Not Sayin

    You know, I come from a huge family in Texas and we’ve always owned guns. Hunting guns and handguns alike. I just don’t see this as a big deal and the people who ARE freaking out suffer from a dangerous mix of paranoia and gullibility. Maybe if we owned assault rifles and other semi-automatic weapons that nobody in their right mind would take dove hunting, but we’re not those kind of gun owners.

  • Draxiar

    I fear that the victims that ultimately became the catalyst for gun regulation will be forgotton by the folks that are so staunchly against it.

    During this arguement there needs to be constant reminders of the people in Newtown, Aurora, etc. so they are not dismissed.

    • muselet

      Opponents of gun regulation have long since forgotten about the wounded and the dead, assuming they ever took note of the victims at all.

      –alopecia

  • http://twitter.com/Schnitzerella Schnitzerella

    The only thing to do to stop the crazy is for those who are sick of this crap to turn out in droves in 2014 to send the fanatics in the House packing.