Panetta Ends Ban on Women in Combat

From the Associated Press

WASHINGTON (AP) — Senior defense officials say Pentagon chief Leon Panetta is removing the military’s ban on women serving in combat, opening hundreds of thousands of front-line positions and potentially elite commando jobs after more than a decade at war.

The groundbreaking move recommended by the Joint Chiefs of Staff overturns a 1994 rule prohibiting women from being assigned to smaller ground combat units. Panetta’s decision gives the military services until January 2016 to seek special exceptions if they believe any positions must remain closed to women.

Our nation’s military will soon be fully integrated from top to bottom, with women soon joining LGBT servicemembers on the front lines. And according to the Associated Press report, this will open up as many as 230,000 jobs to women.

It’s remarkable to me how that which is popular in science fiction is increasingly becoming reality. Remarkable and welcome.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Security and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • nellcote

    Now if we could just get the DoD to take sexual assault seriously…

  • D_C_Wilson

    I just got a weather report from Hell. It’s twenty degrees below freezing and snowing hard.

  • http://profiles.google.com/rollotamasi13 Rollo Tamasi

    That Hopey Changey thing is working out just fine.

    • Scopedog

      Yep.

  • Scopedog

    “It’s remarkable to me how that which is popular in science fiction is increasingly becoming reality. Remarkable and welcome.”

    Yep. Haldeman’s THE FOREVER WAR; the films ALIENS and the adaptation of STARSHIP TROOPERS; BATTLESTAR GALACTICA (old and new), and even anime such as GUNDAM and MACROSS–all of these have shown men and women fighting (and dying) side by side in combat.

    Sadly, there are still fans of SF reject this idea of co-ed combat happening in the real world. For all their claims of being open-minded and smarter, they usually drop comments that rival Newt Gingrich’s line about infections in the trenches.