Please Proceed, Right Wing

The Right Wing response to President Obama’s news conference today where he unveiled the sweeping gun control measures recommended to him by Vice President Joe Biden has been predictably unhinged.

And at a time when the president’s approval rating is peaking and public opinion in favor of gun control is solidifying, they aren’t doing themselves any favors. Nor will they be doing themselves any favors as long as their rhetoric remains this insensitive, nonsensical, and hateful.

Here’s Boss Limbaugh on the “children as human shields show.” And if you can make it through his garbled mumbling, you can hear him mocking the kids for “writing letters to Santa Claus.”

Meanwhile, the Governor of Mississippi is calling for nullification of any “unconstitutional order” signed by the president even though nothing he signed today even approaches the event horizon of being considered unconstitutional.

In a letter sent to his lieutenant governor and the state speaker of the house that was posted on his Facebook page, Mississippi Gov. Phil Bryant (R) on Wednesday called for immediate legislation that would make any “unconstitutional order” on gun policy taken by President Barack Obama “illegal to enforce in Mississippi by state and local law enforcement.”

Bryant wrote that the president’s executive actions on guns — which Obama and Vice President Joe Biden unveiled on Wednesday — would likely infringe on the Second Amendment “as never before in American history.”

I suppose it’s comforting to know that some of our nation’s sitting governors are this ignorant. “He’s just like us!”

And finally the NRA ran — and quickly removed — this ad last night which opens by asking why President Obama’s children are good enough for Secret Service protection but yours aren’t.

Media Matters has a collection of reactions from Fox News hosts and conservative columnists which may challenge your preconceived notions about the depth of American stupidity.

There are also at least two House Republicans now calling for impeachment. Because freedom!

It remains to be seen what will and will not make it through congress, but I believe the war for public opinion has already largely been won and that we have truly turned a corner on the issue of guns.

That the only voices of opposition remaining are those of the aforementioned lunatics is proof of this.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Wingnuts and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • KABoink_after_wingnut_hacker

    These people are fucking desperate.
    Best to keep an eye on them.

  • Draxiar

    No matter what President Obama came out with for gun regulation, the right wing and gun sex slaves were going to go batshit bonkers.

    “we have truly turned a corner on the issue of guns”

    We absolutely have, and of course, this is what has them so unhinged.

    Unfortunately, we are now seeing only the beginning of their efforts to defeat gun control. We have a very long way to go, but we have right on our side!

  • roxsteady1

    As someone who doesn’t live in the South and never would, I’m glad I won’t be a part of the folks down there getting their faces blown off. You really do get the government you deserve.

    • ninjaf

      As someone living in North Carolina who grew up in Michigan, with several friends in the northeast, this is not just a southern thing.

      Hold on there Roxy, I live in AZ and I often feel like the only sane person in a sea of crazy. I have no control over the government here and I sure a f*ck don’t deserve it.

  • zirgar

    Morally speaking, it looks like the right wing and the NRA brought a knife to a gun fight.

  • i_a_c

    That NRA ad is absolutely unhinged. What do the president’s kids have to do with anything? Oh you know, they’re just the targets of thousands of whackjob terrorists who want a “trophy.” Some of them may be NRA members.

      Some of them may be are NRA members

      FTFY

    What is it about executive orders and their constitutionality do they not understand? Oh, that’s right…they’re being written by a brown Democrat–of course their illegitimate!

  • GrafZeppelin127

    This has got to be the greatest improv act of all time. These people deserve an honorary Tony for being able to keep this up this long.

    • muselet

      If this were a vaudeville act, they would long since have gotten the hook.

      –alopecia

  • roxsteady1

    For those of you with the stomach for it, I’ve added a link from NOW with Alex Wagner today of Limpballs actually mocking the children while doing his fake crying bit. It’s truely disgusting. I hope that the rest of his sponsors are pressured to drop this crazy bastard!

    http://tv.msnbc.com/2013/01/16/limbaugh-mocks-kids-at-obama-gun-safety-event-calls-them-human-shields/

  • http://twitter.com/thossy Tom Hardy

    This is from Scalia’s remarks on DC vs Heller

    The Second Amendment right is not unlimited. We do not cast doubt on concealed-weapons prohibitions, laws barring possession of firearms by felons and the mentally ill, laws barring firearms in sensitive places like schools and government buildings, and laws imposing conditions on commercial sale of arms. (54-55) Also, the sorts of weapons protected are the sorts of small arms that were lawfully possessed at home at the time of the Second Amendment’s ratification, not those most useful in military service today, so “M-16 rifles and the like” may be banned.

    http://www.nationalreview.com/bench-memos/50849/district-columbia-v-heller-scalias-majority-opinion/ed-whelan

    when Scalia is standing to the left of you in an argument, you know must be almost falling off the edge of the right.

    There goes the wingers impeachable offense