Quote of the Morning

“The National Rifle Association of America is made up of over 4 million moms and dads, daughters and sons, who are involved in the national conversation about how to prevent a tragedy like Newtown from ever happening again. We attended today’s White House meeting to discuss how to keep our children safe and were prepared to have a meaningful conversation about school safety, mental health issues, the marketing of violence to our kids and the collapse of federal prosecutions of violent criminals.

We were disappointed with how little this meeting had to do with keeping our children safe and how much it had to do with an agenda to attack the Second Amendment. While claiming that no policy proposals would be “prejudged,” this Task Force spent most of its time on proposed restrictions on lawful firearms owners – honest, taxpaying, hardworking Americans. It is unfortunate that this Administration continues to insist on pushing failed solutions to our nation’s most pressing problems. We will not allow law-abiding gun owners to be blamed for the acts of criminals and madmen. Instead, we will now take our commitment and meaningful contributions to members of congress of both parties who are interested in having an honest conversation about what works – and what does not.” The NRA’s statement in response to Biden’s task force

Preventing people like Adam Lanza from attaining semiautomatic firearms will absolutely keep our children safe — far more than banning Call of Duty video games, and they know it.

Here’s why the assault weapons ban of 1994-2004 didn’t quite work as promised: because groups like the NRA and its allies in Congress watered down the law and created gigantic loopholes that pretty much doomed it from the start. But I suspect it won’t happen this time. It’s obvious that Biden isn’t taking seriously any of the NRA’s usual menu of right-wing bumper sticker crapola and red herring tangents.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Guns and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • GrafZeppelin127

    … moms and dads, daughters and sons … lawful firearms owners – honest, taxpaying, hardworking Americans … law-abiding gun owners …”

    The NRA seems to have the same problem the Tea Party™ has: intense, mellifluous self-admiration that prevents anyone outside the organization from taking it seriously.

  • zirgar

    Having the NRA at these discussions is like having lions and hyenas involved in a grassland discussion on gazelle safety.

  • 1933john

    Are any of the killers members of the NRA?

  • cgregor

    Bob, 80% of gun homicides (not suicides or accidental deaths) are committed with weapons whose owners let go of them– they were either mislaid, left unsecured, given away, lent, sold, pawned, etc. If gun purchasers realized that the weapon they let go of is the weapon that would likely kill someone, they would treat them with more respect– after all, what samurai or knight ever let go of his sword?

    So, in keeping with the NRA’s interpretation of the Second Amendment, we pass a law that restricts the rights of gun owners to get rid of their weapons. We have a law that says, “As of January 1, 2014, the gun you purchase is the gun you will have permanent responsibility for. Whoever uses it uses it in your name, with your permission, and you bear full consequences.”

    You can see how much more responsible this would make them. It would also increase sales of guns, since owners would have to destroy them rather than merely report to the cops that they had it stolen or sold it. And it would give the rest of the public reason to look on them as a responsible warrior class, quite a step up from where they’ve been under Wayne.

  • trgahan

    Does the NRA mean all those “responsible law-abiding gun owners” that are taking to the media to threaten the American public with violence if it does anything that would make gun ownership slightly more inconvenient?
    I am starting to think the fantasy of gun ownership, particularly assult weapons, is more dangerous than the guns themselves.

    They do love to paint this as an
    attack on the second amendment. I can’t say if the NRA has actually understood
    the second amendment, I do know however that they have actively misinterpreted
    it and twisted its meaning to fit their narrow political ideals.

    No proposed gun-control has EVER
    been an attack on the second amendment, nor was it designed to ban ALL guns.

    “Instead, we will now take our commitment and meaningful contributions to members of congress of both parties…”

    Meaning, follow the money.