Report: Lance Armstrong Confessed to Oprah Yesterday

Oprah recorded her interview with Lance Armstrong yesterday, to be aired this Thursday, and it looks like those rumors are true. The interview lasted for 2.5 hours.

Lance Armstrong confessed to Oprah Winfrey during an interview Monday that he used performance-enhancing drugs to win the Tour de France, a person familiar with the situation told The Associated Press.

The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the interview is to be broadcast Thursday on Winfrey’s network.

If true, I’m glad he’s coming clean on this. It was only a matter of time.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Cycling and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • chris castle

    What’s Lance without his TdF wins? Just another pro-cyclist. And, because I spent YEARS following his career and hanging on every minute of every TdF, I will not watch the Oprah interview. He will not get any more of my time…

    • JimmyAbra

      I dislike Lance and Oprah very much and I see this more of a PR stunt by both to some extent – Lance continuing trying the further his selfish agenda and Oprah to help her ratings and further her selfish agenda.

      …But what is Lance without his titles? He is still a beacon of hope for many with cancer and that should not be lost. I would like someone to look into if EPO or other PEDs can be useful in the treatment of cancer…not because they cure cancer, per se, but because they allow some extra strength to be active which may be useful.

      • chris castle

        It’s quite possible that his use of PED’s – assuming he used them prior to his cancer – either triggered or accelerated his cancer, which would make the disease his fault. Testosterone will most certainly do this. If it can be reasonably argued that his use of PED’s may have caused his cancer (or, again, accelerated it to Stage III or IV, can’t remember which), then he’s not even a beacon of hope, he’s just lucky.

        • JimmyAbra

          Very fair statement and I meant to note that but forgot! Great point!

  • mrbrink

    At least he’s admitting to it. There are hundred million dollar baseball players who spent years manipulating a multi-billion dollar market, manipulating the statistics, altering careers, screwing with history, and depressing the careers of every opponent they ever excelled against.

    Every one of them– from Roger Clemens to Barry Bonds, Mark McGwire, Sammy Sosa, Rafael Palmeiro, on and on– all lied to congress. Rafael Palmeiro was outraged and indignant at the hearings and later tested positive. For Clemens and Bonds– both faced grand jury indictments and a media frenzy that ended with Barry Bonds being convicted on obstruction of justice for giving an evasive answer to a question under oath(currently on appeal), and Clemens was tried and re-tried for perjury, making false statements, and obstruction of congress(not guilty on all counts– mistrial).

    Through all of that, none of them have ever admitted to using PEDs and they’re all still trying to manipulate markets and statistics even in retirement in trying to get into the Baseball Hall Of Fame. They were all recently rebuffed, some were denied based solely on suspicion.

    As far as I’m concerned, Lance Armstrong is standing on the right side of redemption.

    • MarshallLucky

      Armstrong’s too savvy to get involved in the kind of sordid nonsense that sank all those MLB careers. This is a big mushy P.R stunt to try to milk some pity out of the situation before his reputation goes down in well-deserved flames. He’s learned the lessons of the early steroid scandals.

      • mrbrink

        There is no pleasing his detractors.