Republican Outreach

Under current law, women in South Dakota must wait 72 hours between the time they request an abortion and the time they can legally have one, but that’s not good enough for some Dakota Republicans.

House Bill 1237, sponsored by Republican Jon Hansen, would amend the waiting period rule to add the line, “No Saturday, Sunday, federal holiday, or state holiday may be included or counted in the calculation of the seventy-two hour minimum time period between the initial physician consultation and assessment and the time of the scheduled abortion procedure.” It has 14 co-sponsors in the house and five in the state senate.

If you’re going to seek an abortion, make sure you do so on a Monday. That is unless you’re busy working. I assume this bill is intended to exploit work schedules to make it as difficult as possible to find time for an abortion. I can see no other possible motivation.

There’s being a jerk, and then there’s being a dick. I think this qualifies as the latter.

It’s Republican outreach.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in War On Women and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Draxiar

    These people exhaust me. They’re like kids that keep nagging and trying to nuance terms and conditions.

  • Ned F

    Just replace “seek or request an abortion” with desire or intent to purchase a gun” in this bill. Let’s see how many co-sponsors it gets.

    • Brutlyhonest

      I was thinking a very similar thing.

  • Ipecac

    Yeah, that is totally dickish. Jebus Christ.

  • http://twitter.com/SugaRazor Razor

    As is often said around here, conservatism is a mental illness.

    • gescove

      Agreed. You need to be effing sick and obsessed to spend your time devising these schemes to deny women their Constitutional rights. This clown would be delighted if he could pull off some real Catch-22 clauses: You may schedule an abortion only on those days when the clinic is not open to schedule a procedure. The procedure may not take place on any day of the week which ends in “Y”, or in any month that contains an “R”, “Y”, or “U”. Only licensed doctors who are also concert trombonists can perform the procedure and then only while continuously reciting the Pledge of Allegiance with one hand over their heart. As @draxiar says, these people exhaust me.

    I think I liked the Republicans more before they started reaching out so much.

  • D_C_Wilson

    There’s got to be some kind of competition going on among state republicans to see who can come up with the most burdensome law that can make it virtually impossible for a woman to get an abortion.

    They’re practically begging the Supreme Court to take one o these cases up and use to take another bite at Roe v. Wade.

  • Victor_the_Crab

    I think the word you’re looking for Ash, is asshole.