Republican Outreach

After temporarily supporting exceptions for rape and incest during the presidential campaign, Paul Ryan is back to supporting legislation that would effectively ban abortion without exception.

Despite the deep unpopularity of fetal personhood bills in 2012, Rep. Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) has again decided to cosponsor the Sanctity of Human Life Act, a bill that gives full legal rights to human zygotes from the moment of fertilization. [...]

The personhood bill, first introduced in 2011 by Rep. Paul Broun (R-Ga.) and reintroduced by Broun last week, specifies that a “one-celled human embryo,” even before it implants in the uterus to create a pregnancy, should be granted “all the legal and constitutional attributes and privileges of personhood.” Similar legislation has been rejected by voters in multiple states, including the socially conservative Mississippi, because legal experts have pointed out that it could outlaw some forms of birth control and in vitro fertilization as well as criminalize abortion at all stages.

Broun said in a statement that a zygote’s right to life should be “defended vigorously and at all costs.”

Life should be defended vigorously and at all costs?

Unfortunately Republicans in congress and anti-choice advocates don’t share the same view for people who have already been born, or those who were born 6 or 7 years ago and attended elementary school in Newtown, Connecticut. For some reason their lives are far less important than zygotes. Or in this case, their lives are less important than a “one-celled human embryo.”

For some reason the lives of the 500 people murdered in Chicago last year, primarily by guns imported from other states, are less important than zygotes.

It’s Republican outreach.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in War On Women and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • i_am_allwrite

    I suddenly realized that I want to be a congressman. I want to get paid for making pointless gestures. If elected, I’ll call a press conference and piss on a toaster. I’ll stick Hello Kitty band-aids on my congressional stationary and send them to constituents living in nursing homes. I’ll fart loudly during roll call and blame it on the ghost of Mr. Smith. But I promise won’t make a mockery of the institution I serve by introducing heartless, misguided, pope-fellating, stupid fucking doomed-to-fail bills.
    Also, I can run a marathon faster at age 41 than Paul Ryan could when he was 20.
    Thank you for your vote.

      Do you need a campaign manager?

      • i_am_allwrite

        Yeah. And a toaster.

  • Treading_Water

    If a zygote is a person at the moment of conception, then does the mother have the right to charge rent or charge the fetus with trespass? Or battery?

    • villemar

      What if the fetus is inducted into the armed services? Wouldn’t that then be a violation of the 3rd Amendment if the mother is a civilian?

  • muselet

    Just in case someone wondered why I call them “fetus fetishists” …

    –alopecia