Republican Outreach

It’s time for another episode of Republican Outreach, this time in New Mexico.

Should a recently introduced bill in New Mexico become law, rape victims will be required to carry their pregnancies to term during their sexual assault trials or face charges of “tampering with evidence.”

Under HB 206, if a woman ended her pregnancy after being raped, both she and her doctor would be charged with a felony punishable by up to 3 years in state prison.

I can’t fathom this actually becoming law, but let it be known that someone actually thought it was a good idea. And in this case that someone is Rep. Cathrynn Brown (R).

The outreach to women continues.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in War On Women and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • gescove

    Let me be the first to say it: Un-fucking-believable.

  • muselet

    Is there a class in which Rs are taught—perhaps as part of orientation as a freshman legislator—to develop a lack of empathy?

      Yes, it’s called the traditional conservative family.

  • MrDHalen

    Cathrynn Brown is not the problem, it’s the people who think its okay to put her into elected office that are the problem.

  • Victor_the_Crab

    You can’t fathom this becoming law, Ash? Anything’s possible with this group of numbnuts.

      Fortunately Democrats have a majority in the New Mexico legislature. If the Republicans did, all bets would be off.

    Something needs to be done about these wackos run amuck in state government………seriously!

    These creeps are destroying the fucking fabric of our society, and it’s getting to the point where a lot of us are going to leave if it continues.

    • gescove

      Agreed. But it is like Whack-a-Mole from hell. It has been puzzling me quite a bit — how do these fringe elements seem to keep racking up
      legislative victories? It appears they usually don’t take a big public swing with the meat ax, preferring to make thousands of tiny slices. And it is breathtaking to me just how many devious ways they can concoct to make those tiny slices – a tampering with evidence law here, a hospital
      elevator requirement there, a gerrymandered district, a requisite fetal
      heartbeat confirmation, a mandatory trans-vaginal ultrasound, and on,
      and on, and on. How exactly do you slay a Hydra?

      • Draxiar

        Nuke ‘em from space…it’s the only way to be sure.

          Don’t give me any ideas. I’m far too tempted.

        “it is breathtaking to me just how many devious ways they can concoct to make those tiny slices”

        Exactly!

  • D_C_Wilson

    Wait, if they need the baby to prove rape, how are they going to prove the woman aborted a baby from rape?

    Goddamn, these are people are stupid.