Republican Outreach

It’s time for another episode of Republican Outreach which, not-coincidentally, is brought to us by Arizona.

Arizona Republicans have introduced a bill which I would characterize as “Papers Please” for healthcare.

Hospitals would need to check the immigration status of uninsured patients under a new bill introduced by an Arizona lawmaker. Rep. Steve Smith’s (R) H.B. 2293 would require hospital staff to “reasonably confirm” patients’ status during check-in or treatment, and immediately report those who do not have the required papers to immigration officials.

Smith claimed it is a hospital’s civic duty to check immigration status.

My immediate thought is that this would invariably lead to entirely-legal citizens having their “papers” checked out of suspicion.

According to ThinkProgress, local hospitals have resoundingly rejected the idea, and it seems unlikely to me that this will become law, but proposals like this should be not forgotten in the future as voters go to the polls.

And in case you missed it, the agreed-upon strategy that emerged from the Republican retreat held last week at the Kingsmill Resort in Williamsburg, Virginia. — a former plantation — is to continue offering the same policy proposals as they have in the past but to do so with a smile. The retreat was reportedly focused entirely on outreach to women and minorities.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Racism and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • trgahan

    A total, unserious red meat bill for all the hate and fear filled white people in AZ who are convinced their health insurance is so highy ONLY because illegals are clogging up emergency rooms.

  • Nefercat

    And what if entirely legal citizens don’t have proof of citizenship on them? Hmm? Under what circumstances can someone be told that they must prove they are a citizen, Hmm? What might trigger this request?

    How do you know who is required “to have papers”? What assumptions must you make?

    I’m guessing Rep. Steve Smith isn’t worried that he or anyone in his family might be asked for proof of citizenship.

    What a vile and disgusting piece of shit he is.

  • Victor_the_Crab

    And in case you missed it, the agreed-upon strategy that emerged from the Republican retreat held last week at the Kingsmill Resort in Williamsburg, Virginia. — a former plantation — is to continue offering the same policy proposals as they have in the past but to do so with a smile.

    While rigging and gerrymandering the voting districts all to their liking.