Republican Outreach

Representative Lou Barletta (R-PA) says Republicans shouldn’t bother trying to pass immigration reform because it won’t win them any votes. And I may actually agree with that sentiment because there’s a lot more to garnering votes than simply making symbolic gestures with a wink and a nod, but according to Barletta, they won’t win any votes because Latinos are the takers and Republicans are the makers.

“I hope politics is not at the root of why we’re rushing to pass a bill. Anyone who believes that they’re going to win over the Latino vote is grossly mistaken,” Barletta said, according to the Morning Call. “The majority that are here illegally are low-skilled or may not even have a high school diploma. The Republican Party is not going to compete over who can give more social programs out. They will become Democrats because of the social programs they’ll depend on.”

This is the real reason Republicans are losing minorities. It goes beyond policy to racial contempt. And even if modest immigration reform passes congress, that alone will not sway large sections of voters. Your rhetoric has to change too. You can’t continue treating people like they are your burden.

In other Republican Outreach related news — Arkansas Republicans introduced a bill yesterday to jail doctors who perform abortions.

A proposed abortion bill introduced in Arkansas this week would ban all abortion services after a fetal heartbeat is detected — which can occur as early as six weeks, before some women even realize they’re pregnant — and charge doctors who perform abortions after that arbitrary cut-off with a Class D felony, punishable by up to six years in prison and up to a $10,000 fine.

No word on whether or not any of the bill’s 18 co-sponsors were wearing a smile when they signed on the dotted line.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Ethics and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • MrDHalen

    The Republicans have boiled themselves down to grifters & racist. You can boil almost any of their ideas or proposals down to either stopping the rise or inclusion of the brown people and or making a boatload of money feeding fear to racist.
    Abortion=More white babies (Everybody knows, you can’t stop sex)

    Taxes=Stop money from benefiting non-whites
    Entitlements=See Taxes

    Guns=Protection from the non-whites
    Military=Protect America’s corporate interest abroad (non-white countries)

    Deficit=Can’t allow an economic recovery to happen under black president
    Education=Racism is dumb, so education doesn’t help them
    Immigration=A problem for all the above
    Environment=Helps strengthen the “Traditions” argument of the 50’s

    Religion=Mask all these policies in God’s gift wrap.

    There is nothing good in the party anymore. All the decent conservatives are independents or Blue Dogs now.

  • Victor_the_Crab

    Keep up the douchebaggery, republicans. You’re doing swell.

  • D_C_Wilson

    Barletta is the former mayor of Hazelton who ignited a firestorm a while back over the immigration issue. He’s basically Pennsylvania’s Joe Arpaio. It’s hardly surprising that he’s hostile to any immigration reform.

  • Draxiar

    “Republicans shouldn’t bother trying to pass immigration reform because it won’t win them any votes”

    They should do it because it’s the right thing to do for the country and:

    Give me your tired, your poor,
    Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
    Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!
    They love America but they don’t love the ideals that helped make it great.