Republicans Can’t Win, So They’re Trying to Cheat

Along with a few key issues, this plot by Republicans in Virginia, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin and Michigan to apportion electoral votes based on congressional districts, and not the current winner-take-all system, ought to be the number one political topic in America right now. It’s just that despicable. The Republican effort to succeed in Virginia is very close to passing, and similar laws are in the planning stages in Florida and Ohio.

The Center for American Progress assembled a comprehensive white sheet on the topic here.

In fact, according to The Huffington Post, if they had succeeded in these states prior to the 2012 election, Mitt Romney would’ve won the electoral vote 273-262, in spite of losing the popular vote by 5,000,000 votes.

That’s the crux of the problem here: not only are Republican legislatures and governors in swing states handing their electoral votes over to the next Republican president because there are many more right-leaning rural districts than left-leaning city/suburban districts, these laws would ostensibly give a Republican candidate an electoral vote victory in each state while losing the popular vote in each state. So the result wouldn’t reflect the popular vote — nearly every time.

Here’s Colbert:

We need to make a big effing deal about this until the Republicans are shamed enough to back down. Otherwise, they’d control the swing states for the foreseeable future.

(h/t Injury Lawyer Thomas Soldan)

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Elections and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • zirgar

    I hate to correct you, Bob, but they aren’t trying to cheat. They ARE cheating.

      True.

  • trgahan

    It is blatantly obvious why the GOP is doing this, but fighting against these electoral rule changes will be very difficult. Progressives need to come up with a good response to GOP talking point of “We’re only doing this because our rural citizens feel like they are not being heard during national elections.” If not, Progressives could be painted as “anti-democratic” in the public square/MSM and the whole thing could devolve into a both sides debate of “of course Democrat won’t like a rule that could cost them elections! THEY need to reach out to rural America!”

    Living in Utah, the major population areas have been so gerrymandered that the State Legislature is controlled by a handful of long serving representatives from lightly populated rural areas. Literally, millions of people are legislatively controlled by elected officials accountable to only a few thousand. Now imagine that becoming the case for national elections.

    “We need to make a big effing deal about this until the Republicans are shamed enough to back down”

    Um…….Bob, do you really believe that they’ll actually experience any shame? Outside of an isolated very, very few, I don’t think so.

    We are going to have to FORCE them to back down, how, I have no idea. But expecting them to back down out of “shame” is like hoping Santa Claus will bring us a gift.