Republicans Continue to Rubber-Stamp Wackjob Alex Jones

Here’s a town hall conversation between a voter and Rep. James Lankford (R-OK) about what’s really to blame for gun violence:

CONSTITUENT: My question is regarding the guns and is Washington at all aware of the psychotropic drugs that these children are taking? I guarantee it 100 percent that’s our big problem. […]

LANKFORD: I agree with that. I think there’s a bunch of issues that, quite frankly, most liberals are afraid to talk about. […] Where are we on all those psychiatric drugs? We’ve overmedicated kids. Quite frankly some of the overmedication of kids are because welfare moms want to get additional benefits and if they can put them on SSI through maintenance drugs, they can also put them on Social Security disability and get a separate check. That is wrong on every single level. Not only is it fraudulent to the government, but it also tells a kid with great potential, “don’t try because you’re disabled.”

Yes, welfare moms are to blame for gun violence. And again with the psychiatric drugs — torn directly from Alex Jones’ apoplectic rant on CNN. Let it be known that spazzy freaks like Jones and Ted Nugent aren’t just the fringe — they’re the centerpiece of the Republican Party’s views on guns.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Guns and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Draxiar

    While I agree that kids are overmedicated…it’s not “because welfare moms want to get additional benefits”.
    My God…these people’s heads are so far up their own ass they get to eat their lunch twice.

  • http://profiles.google.com/bh4099 Thx 4 Fish

    I understand the personal benefit of blaming the laziness, or corruption of ‘others’ for all the problems in the world (Not me, not me, look at them instead!). But it is so counter-productive that it is harmful to our nation. I wonder if ancient Rome engaged in these kinds of pointless blame-games near the end of their days? It is important to point out the fallacies of bad arguments, but it is sad that it takes up all our time shooting down stupid ideas promoted by mentally unstable ‘celebrities,’ These are ideas that should never have seen the light of day anyway.

  • trgahan

    It’s just the same damn explaination for everything isn’t it? No basis in reality (majority of this kind of medication goes to Upper and Middle Class) and no personal responsibility (It’s not my fear-centric, “violence makes right,” lifestyle! Its lazy minorities living off the government!!!).
    And worse, it is constantly presented in the public square as just “the other side of the issue.”

  • No_Unkindness_to_Bears

    Yes, communities like Columbine, Sandy Hook, and Virginia Tech “totally” embody the welfare image. Although I’m surprised by the absence any mention to contraception and its role in gun violence. To my mind, psychotropic drugs, welfare moms, AND the liberal use of contraceptives would complete a Republican’s threefold argument against corrupt moral subjects (i.e. agents of gun violence). Maybe Jones thinks it is an extension of his welfare argument? But I digress.

  • http://www.facebook.com/people/Douglas-Jones/1039564193 Douglas Jones

    As this Republican anti-prescription drug talking point becomes mainstreamed enough to come out of the mouths of their Congresspeople (and at least one Presidential candidate!), I feel certain that Big Pharma will funnel their campaign contribution money away from many GOP candidates.
    Not that I’m happy about Pharma’s political power, but it’s good news for our nation when the Republicans do things that cause them to lose their secure grip on one of their most common benefactors.

    • http://www.facebook.com/people/Peter-Bockenthien/1476190129 Peter Bockenthien

      I think the opposite will happen: they’ll funnel their money TO anyone who publicly blames Rx drugs. Hillary amassed a huge war chest in the 1990s from insurance companies when addressing health care reform. It’s a tried and true recipe.

  • http://www.facebook.com/people/Peter-Bockenthien/1476190129 Peter Bockenthien

    If you can leave out how AJ says it, and why he says it, do check out the side effects of Rx drugs, especially the anti-depressants. I have 2 friends on them. Scary stuff. 1 has gone cold turkey – something far more difficult than going cold turkey off heroin. The other is resigned to being on it the rest of his/her life because they can’t get time off from work needed.

    So while the GOP is disagreeable, they do raise a valid point that the likes of Jones and Mike Adams make even more unpalatable.

  • D_C_Wilson

    Well, if you remember during the debates, Mittens blamed gun violence on single mothers. It’s always the mother’s fault with these guys. There’s got to be serious oedipal issues with republicans.